Hearing Warning for T560 users

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Ben

Hearing Warning for T560 users

Sat May 07, 2022 12:15 pm

Hey fine people :)
I’ve been through a scary episode last week while cutting and thought i’d share it with you as a reminder how of fragile we are.

I’ve been on a rampage of cutting last week doing from 7:30am to 11:30pm. At one point with the sound of the cutterhead and vaccum, i lost hearing in my right ear …. It was only distortion i could hear and no more high frequencies. It happened suddenly and since im a recording/mixing engineer … it was a really scary episode

Luckily after 5-6 hours it started to be a little better and eventually the distortion stopped.
But i still have a ring in my ear.

Just wanted to raise awareness, the sound coming out of the cutterhead and vaccum in long term is not harmless, just be careful how exposed you are!

Love to all
Ben

Discomo

Re: A little Warning for T560 users

Sat May 07, 2022 9:23 pm

Jeez. So sorry to hear this Ben. That’s really very scary. Thanks for taking the effort of warning us. It’s indeed a sharp high sound. Never even thought such thing can happen. Since I’m a musician myself I may start using ear protection.

I hope you recover soon.

MEGAMIKE

Sun May 08, 2022 8:46 am

I know it does your head in 8/9 hours days cutting then you start hearing voices,when you cut that drone white noise music ..

Dub Studio

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:09 am

I would wear headphones while cutting, you really don't want the sound of the cutting head hitting your ears all day.

fredbissnette

Re: Hearing Warning for T560 users

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:55 pm

I used to wear ear protection muffs
Instagram @styluspressurerecords