stylus heating question (plastic)

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Dub Studio

Re: stylus heating question (plastic)

Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:03 am

Not exactly. OK so the method I use is as follows:

1) cut off a couple of inches of wire (length = 2 x distance of stylus from binding posts, plus 8 x windings, plus a little spare at each end to hold on to)

2) mount the stylus in the head

3) tie one end of the wire to a binding post, leave a little hanging off the post as you will probably need this to retie it if you want to change stylus at any point

4) hold the wire taut, and start winding. With each winding ensure the wire is aligned nicely by pushing it down towards the hilt (you need finger nails for this, not good if you have fingers like sausages). Make sure the wires don't overlap (or wind over eachother). Never let go of the wire or slacken it off too much while you are winding, you will lose the neat winding and possibly damage the stylus tip if the wire recoils off the end.

5) once you have the sufficient number of windings (I stick to 8, but it depends on your set up and stylus length), tie the other end off on the other binding post, again leaving a little spare on the end.

6) once you have ensured the coil is in place, and holding firm, you can slacken the wires off from the binding posts by a mm or so. To do this, simply loosen the binding post a little, and push the wire sideways until you feel a little of the spare wire (see point nymber 3) pulling towards the binding post. You are going for a slight bowing of the wire, no craziness. This will give free movement, but also hold the coil.

Just to reiterate, if you do this properly, there is no need for glue. All cutting heads are designed such that the binding posts are set higher than the stylus, so the wire will always pull upwards, holding the coil in place on one end (and the hilt holds it in place on the other). Plus the wire has a certain amount of malleabilty, and will form around the stone.

emidisc

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Will give it a try👍

nikc

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:42 pm

Hi Sorry if a bit late to the party: I cut with myshank diamond and blanks. I don't go over 30 degrees as the swarf goes sticky. Usually about 27 and with stylus heat up to 0.3 A. Especially as the stylus wears down a bit. As start getting a bit of surface noise.

I have found it a problem with swarf sticking to the disc and up the tube in the past so it has been a balancing act to get it right. Getting the stylus weight right has also been a factor.
Best
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records