Wonky precision platter VR

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PTV

Wonky precision platter VR

Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:33 pm

Hello!
An unusual issue has come up with my precision platter from Souri. I've been cutting with the same setup for years (standard VR setup with technics 1200 and precision plate with external motor) and only since recently moving my lathe and setting it up again has this problem started.

When I calibrate the precision plate using the 3 little allen keys I am able to get it very flat (as I always was) but now when I tighten the record clamp on the spindle it throws the balance way off and creates crazy runout.

I've tried changing the platter of the 1200 and adjusting the plate to accommodate the runout with the tightened clamp with wonky results. Very frustrating issue and its causing noticeable surface noise. :|

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

jonoaustin

Re: Wonky precision platter VR

Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:15 pm

Try flipping the brass tightening disk over. The direction of the the screw being tightened can create exactly the thing you're describing. Hope it works! J
Jon Niess
Austin Signal
https://www.austinsignal.com/retro

PTV

Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:57 am

Thanks for your reply.
Ya there has always seemed to be a "correct" orientation of the brass tightening disk and unfortunately flipping it doesn't solve my issue.
Unfortunately there seems to be a deeper issue at hand.. Still not sure :/

Any other thoughts?

SueDenim

Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:41 am

My next guess at a culprit for your issue would be to examine your Technics 1200's centre spindle bearing.
They were never designed to carry as much weight as the precision plate exerts on them, resulting in the thrust plate and/or ball bearing developing a flat spot. This may only come to light when you do something like moving the system and setting it up somewhere else, as you have just done.
Luckily, servicing or even fully replacing the spindle bearing on a 1200/1210 is quite a straight forward procedure.

PTV

Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:09 am

It's true that it's been awhile since i've serviced my 1200. I will take it in for a full examination.

Thanks for the suggestions

dubplatecutter

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:48 am

hello trolls

i have a similar problem. my precision plate is super flat, but i have noticed that the plate wobbles back and forth. or left and right, however you want to look at it. do you notice this with you too?

warmly, peter