(Updated) Lathe Cut Camp #17! Oct 8-10, 2022 Tucson, AZ

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

piaptk

(Updated) Lathe Cut Camp #17! Oct 8-10, 2022 Tucson, AZ

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:39 pm

I've been getting a lot of requests, and have been finding a lot of lathes in the wild recently, so it's time for another Lathe Cut Camp. Sept 24-26, 2022 in Tucson, AZ

(This Camp is PERFECT FOR NEWBIES or Folks who just want to learn how it's done whether they want to start cutting themselves or not!)

(Classes are Saturday thru Monday, but Monday is just extra practice and cutting of campers records, so if you need to fly in late Friday and leave late Sunday, you will get most of the information)

YOU ALSO GET TO CUT YOUR OWN RECORDS AND TAKE THEM WITH YOU!

THERE ARE ONLY 8 SPOTS AND ALL PREVIOUS CAMPS HAVE SOLD OUT!

Spend three days in scenic Tucson, AZ learning (almost) everything you need to know about DIY Record Cutting! The focus of this camp will be on mono "semi-professional" machines, with particular focus on Presto 6Ns, which are one of the most common and "industry standard" vintage machines around. (if you have a different model that you want to learn more about, please ask! I may have one you can use here, or you can bring your own). You can do some amazing things with these incredible machines, and I will show you how.

We will also talk about and do a little Stereo Diamond cutting demo, which is new for this lathe cut camp!

Bring your own music and we will put it onto discs for you to take home. We will touch on professional record mastering/pressing, but my main interest and experience, and the focus of this camp, will be on the more DIY and experimental side of the hobby. There are only 8 spots available, so buy early because every previous camp has sold out!

Perfect if you are interested in:
Vinyl records and how their masters are cut
Learning how this strange black art works
Buying a lathe to make your own records
Ordering lathe cuts from a lathe cut service
Cutting your own music to disc

Topics covered:
The science behind vinyl record cutting
Lathe Operations and equipment
The pressing process
Lacquer dub plate cutting
Experimental and alternative materials (plexiglass, laserdiscs, picnic plates, etc)
Stereo Diamond Hifi One-Off Records

Please Note: You are responsible for your own transportation to/from Tucson and your accommodations
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Re: Lathe Cut Camp #16! Sept 24-26, 2022 Tucson, AZ

Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:42 pm

NVM. sold out.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Re: Lathe Cut Camp #16! Sept 24-26, 2022 Tucson, AZ

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:35 pm

I got four emails today asking for another LAthe Cut Camp, so I scheduled another on Oct 8-10, 2022 in Tucson. If you are interested, check out www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

PBV

Re: (Updated) Lathe Cut Camp #17! Oct 8-10, 2022 Tucson, AZ

Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:46 am

Just posting to recommend the camp and overall lathe services and supplies from Mike Dixon in AZ.
Mike helped us start a 2-lathe setup, and has saved us several times when we ran into issues with the machines that we just didn't have enough experience to even know where to begin.
He's helped us via video call, and literally came to our studio in person because he was in the area and fine-tuned some issues we were having.
Having a record business has been a dream, and we would not have been able to sustain it this far without his help.
If you love making music on lathes, or want to learn about making music on lathes, talk to Mike through this forum, at the lathe camp or through the online shop Record Lathe Parts.

----Phil, For The Record Custom Vinyl

piaptk

Re: (Updated) Lathe Cut Camp #17! Oct 8-10, 2022 Tucson, AZ

Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:48 pm

Thanks Phil!

Also, I will have several lathes ready to purchase and Lathe Cut Campers get first crack at em. You can even cut and train on yr lathe while you are here!
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com