Bad feed screw/blade ?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

apoklis

Bad feed screw/blade ?

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:37 pm

I recorded the same song at the same level using a 181 feed screw, then a 160 feed screw. When using the 181, I get a strange ghost line in the open land every fourth line. I'm using a 6N cutting, not embossing. I'm not sure if I have the same problem with the 160, but the 181 definitely skips and the line is more prevalent. I'm attaching 2 photos, one with the 160, one with the 181. Do you think I have a problem with the 181 feed screw, or is it an issue with the blade?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tragwag

Re: Bad feed screw/blade ?

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:44 pm

seems like a feedscrew issue to me. personally I've had the spring that holds the blade down give out, it was an easy swap with one off the shelf from the hardware store.
just look extremely carefully at the top knurled knob as the carriage passes over that area of the feedscrew, and note any change in height of the knob.
hope it gets sorted for ya!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

apoklis

Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:49 pm

Here is a 224 feed screw. The volumes is the same, and here are the lines. What do you guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

apoklis

Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:25 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking it's the feed screw too. The reason I said the blade was because there was so much bouncing of the blade cap when using it. Come to think of it, I can't remember using this feed screw on a 12 inch before, I think I've only used it on 7's. Thank you for your input.

apoklis

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:13 pm

This is embarrassing. The problem was the feed screws were in backwards. It was working because the weight of the overhead carriage was riding on the blade. I spoke with mike at record lathe parts and he figured it out. Thank you to him, he is always nice and helpful.

tragwag

Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:12 pm

glad it got sorted!
off topic: cool groove camera! would you be open to sharing the model?

apoklis

Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:32 pm

HAFGYKIO 7 inch 1080P LCD Digital Microscope with 32G TF Card, USB Video Camera Microscope, 1200X Magnification Zoom, 12 Megapixels, 8 Adjustable LED Light (UM002B)
It runs 90. dollars at amazon but if you look ,I'm sure you can get it cheaper . Works great for me .Come with a 32gig chip for pics also can connect to pc screen. It work with its plug or a built in battery. Hold its charge for about four hours. I plug them in about ones a week. Its a little heave and I had to use copper tubes to hang one over the platter. Because of how delicate the focus is it works better on a table then in the air. It dose picture and video capture but the pictures I posted were with it on the table next to the lathe and I just snapped pictures of the screen with my phone.

tragwag

Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:43 am

apoklis wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:32 pm
HAFGYKIO 7 inch 1080P LCD Digital Microscope with 32G TF Card, USB Video Camera Microscope, 1200X Magnification Zoom, 12 Megapixels, 8 Adjustable LED Light (UM002B)
It runs 90. dollars at amazon but if you look ,I'm sure you can get it cheaper . Works great for me .Come with a 32gig chip for pics also can connect to pc screen. It work with its plug or a built in battery. Hold its charge for about four hours. I plug them in about ones a week. Its a little heave and I had to use copper tubes to hang one over the platter. Because of how delicate the focus is it works better on a table then in the air. It dose picture and video capture but the pictures I posted were with it on the table next to the lathe and I just snapped pictures of the screen with my phone.
awesome, that's super helpful thank you!

apoklis

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:22 pm

Sorry ,the thing I forgot to mention about the microscope ,That sucks , there's no scale .So when setting up a stylist, you need to lay down a glass slide with a scale printed on it , after ever test cut. Then refocus the scope to see thru it to gauge the width . I've been looking for a better scope solution .If you have seen any digital ones that have scale built into the software let me know.