Anyone tried a Diamond stylus on a 1d cutter head?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Fatmark

Anyone tried a Diamond stylus on a 1d cutter head?

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:42 am

Hey!

First post here! I have been embossing on a presto 6n and a 1D cutter head at a moderate level and been getting some good results so far!

I was wondering if anyone has used the myshanks Diamond stylus 462 before on a 1d cutter head? Does anyone know how loud/what db the cutter head can cut to? Does anyone have any experience with cutting as opposed to embossing with a 1D cutter head?

Thanks!

EposLab

Re: Anyone tried a Diamond stylus on a 1d cutter head?

Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:51 am

Recently got a diamond stylus so i can try on both my Presto 1D and my Hara M180 lathe.
Still need to setup a vaccum kit for it. Hope soon to have this ready
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

piaptk

Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:59 pm

You can diamond cut pretty loud on a 1d. Maybe not post-loudness wars 80s dance 12”, but much louder than embossing. But it also really depends on the life the cutter head has lived, so your head maybe louder/not than any other 1d.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

apoklis

Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:44 am

That's my standard set up. I cut 45s and 78s for old jukeboxes. Because jukeboxes have no tracking , can drop on any part of the record, and some play vertically. It a full time job with part(or less )time pay. But I like doing it. It also helps sell some jukeboxes that i have restored. I get much more volume with my cut them I do then when I emboss . They come out MOTOWN loud.