Bone Record Marriage Proposal

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ziglig

Bone Record Marriage Proposal

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:15 pm

Hello,

My GF is really into the idea of "bone records" which were records cut on discarded x-ray film in the soviet era as a means to distribute banned music and propaganda. People would take discarded x-ray films and cut records at 78rpm using equipment similar to the early record cutters available in the states. I had the bright idea of proposing to my GF by giving her a "bone record" that I will claim I got from ebay or something. When she plays it, it's me etc etc etc.
I bought a Wilcox Gay Recordio and while restoring it I discovered that the rectifier tube had shorted at some point and taken out the transformer - well I'm in a bit of a rush to get this proposal thing done so I then bought a Recordette and also one of those Japanese toy cutters as a backup.
The Japanese toy arrived first and I assembled it and cut it to where it cut records that were good enough for my use, but when I tried cutting on x-ray film it became apparent that the needle on the toy was not sharp enough or the tone arm not heavy enough or some combination of the 2.
Next the Recordette arrived. Luckily the Recordette sprung to life after I recapped it and repaired some bad connections. The record head could probably use a rebuild, but it does produce sound. Using an original needle that was in the box with it I tried to cut onto the x-ray film with no success. The stylus would etch grooves into it but not well enough to make sound.
I would appreciate any ideas on this as I'm trying to get this all squared away ASAP.
Thanks!

d

Re: Bone Record Marriage Proposal

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:19 pm

modern xrays are not good. both sides are emultions. older ones had one side matted - emulsion and other side was shiny. so the cutting should be done on shiny side.

best luck.
_______

tragwag

Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:51 pm

super cool idea, I'd suggest hiring somebody if the time frame is that big of a factor.
anything in the price/quality range of the Recordette or the Gakken won't be able to do an Xray successfully.
They don't routinely apply enough pressure to emboss. You would need a Presto 6N or sturdy Rek O Cut, but most likely something in the range of the Vinyl Recorder.

I haven't had success cutting them myself, but Robin at Red Spade Records has cut them.
https://www.redspaderecords.com/

good luck!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

ziglig

Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:44 pm

d wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:19 pm
modern xrays are not good. both sides are emultions. older ones had one side matted - emulsion and other side was shiny. so the cutting should be done on shiny side.

best luck.
I guess I should have thought about the medium changing, the x-rays I have I acquired from eBay and are from the late 90s. They seem to be shiny on both sides but I have nothing to compare them to.

Is there possibly some after market cutting needle or some such thing that would make this work? I'd love to have cut the record myself using a machine I restored.

jjwharris

Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:55 am

You could try covering the x-ray with a kapco book covering.. It should be able to be embossed.
Record Lathe Embossing Supplies - http://www.supplies.johnnyelectric.co.nz/