stylus heat

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

nikc

stylus heat

Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:59 am

Hello
I have been cutting with an MSS mono lathe using myshank diamond for about 6 years.
I just wanted to check something about stylus heat, make sure i have been doing it right these years.
My diamond is getting half way through its life and there is a little bit of surface noise, so i thought I'd increase the stylus heat.
But the noise doesn't go away.
Now I have put about 500ma across the wires attached to the diamond. Meaning that if i measure across the terminals with my multi meter they measure 500ma.
but if you put the multi-meter on the wires the amps is very very much lower; because of the resistance obviously . Not much current would get down the stylus wires.
I am doing this wrong so i would have to measure the amps with the wires in circuit. I am not having enough power?

regards
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

markrob

Re: stylus heat

Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:11 pm

Hi,

You read voltage across the heater leads, not current. To read heater current, you would need to pit your meter in series with the heater. I'm not sure you are making the measurement correctly.

Mark

Soulbear

Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:22 pm

nikc wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:59 am
Hello
I have been cutting with an MSS mono lathe using myshank diamond for about 6 years.
I just wanted to check something about stylus heat, make sure i have been doing it right these years.
My diamond is getting half way through its life and there is a little bit of surface noise, so i thought I'd increase the stylus heat.
But the noise doesn't go away.
Now I have put about 500ma across the wires attached to the diamond. Meaning that if i measure across the terminals with my multi meter they measure 500ma.
but if you put the multi-meter on the wires the amps is very very much lower; because of the resistance obviously . Not much current would get down the stylus wires.
I am doing this wrong so i would have to measure the amps with the wires in circuit. I am not having enough power?

regards
Nik

Nik it sounds from what you describe that you are doing as Mark suggests and simply not connecting the meter in series. it should be connected something like this : :wink: :wink: :wink:
Current Measurement.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nikc

Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:59 am

HI
Thanks both of you. Of course it is now my brain is slightly more awake. I have an ammeter in my box that broke a few years that was connected in series. Since then I have bypassed it and have been measuring it wrong. and not giving it enough power. buying a new ammeter.
Ta
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records