EQ problem on VR T-560

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Krisgee

EQ problem on VR T-560

Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:07 pm

Hello, maybe someone will be familiar with this problem and could help me:
So, after some records made with Souri's cutter I noticed that my cuts lack of some frequencies, especially from 2500 Hz to 5500 Hz and then from 8000Hz up.
For the best clear view I recorded consistent noise. Below I attach two screenshots of equaliser, how it looks on original file and on recorded and played back:
Original file:
Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 19.40.20.png
Same audio played back from vinyl:
Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 19.41.28.png
Audio waveforms also look quite different:
Here is original waveform:
Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 19.45.41.png
And here is the same but played back from vinyl:
Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 19.47.19.png
Setup I use is very simple: Ableton through sound interface goes to the Main Unit -> Cutter Amp -> Cutter -> Technics -> listening back through Stanton mixer.
I tried to replace a cutting needle, then changed it to a new one, but results are quite the same.

So my question is: How do I solve this?
My only solution for now is trying to tame those frequencies and try to make it equal as possible to other frequencies (as in first picture of original audio file EQ) and then to apply this equalisation to the tracks of music that is going to be cut with VR. Or is there more efficient solution?

I would appreciate any kind of help and thoughts you have to share on this topic. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thelurker

Re: EQ problem on VR T-560

Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:45 pm

Yes Souri heads need lots of correction eq dialed in.

Secondly, post this in the correct area. This is for classified ads.

andybee

Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:40 pm

yes, looks normal, I had a "souri like" cutting head (glyph) from new zealand with same characteristic,
I did the EQ correction with Q3 from Fabfilter. Depending on the sound material, you have different results.
Especially the bass frequency sounding soggy, not tight and clean, but let´s say "o.k." for the price of the system.
Dynamic heads don´t have the best soundquality, compared to heads with feedback is a huge difference.
I think, you can find a lot of discussions about that here in the forum.
All the best

Dub Studio

Thu May 04, 2023 6:55 pm

Show me a plot from any lathe anywhere that looks completely flat from 20 to 20khz and I will be very surprised. This is standard for feed-forward cutting heads, and not at all uncommon for vinyl in general. Learn to embrace the imperfect perfection of the medium.

Vice Fiori

Thu May 04, 2023 7:18 pm

This is the second resonance not dealed, Think it´s only a filter for the first one (close to 1k, but I work in one that it´s between 800mhz).
So all you had to do if you want make it better is:
-Record a pink noise with a nice volume on a blank with both channels, L channel and R channel (dont let your head blows up)
-Record the vinyl back to you daw without any eq
-play it in loop and got a eq to put this resonance down (I recomend you do a buss seeing in a graphical measurement and matching the original pink noise and vinyl pink noise and eq everything to got the same spot)
-Put this eq in your output set up and you´re done!..

Here I use a 4 output interface, so I can head in a mixer my original source with original volume, and the other output I can put eq´s and anothers and have the feedback/vinyl output in other channel of the mixer, so I can hear the original source/volume and the vinyl/feedback source and volume...

This is for my first prototype head that I made with feedback, It uses a hige 6 channel mixer and all eq and limiters are from daw, my selling cutting head have all this inside the console, so dont need anything to do more about