speed of the press ram

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

montalbano

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Thanks Andy!

Is there a pic of the boiler room?? :D
Phil from Phono Press, Milan, Italy
http://www.phonopress.it

Aussie0zborn

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Nice photos, Andy. Which plant was that?

JayDC

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:53 pm

its hard to believe that they would just throw out all that equipment.. I bet some stuff might even still be in the buldings that housed them.. You should seriously consider poking around everything and everywhere, if you where to find those toolex's you would have found the golden fleece..

d

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:03 am

Do you think there is a problem to throw 10 or 20 presses? If you are able to throw 10 then you can throw away 20. And by the way someone got money for the metal ...

Anyway, sooner or later I will go to Riga for futher investigation.

mossboss

Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 am

kvasis wrote:thanks boss for such an inspirational post! i was never thinking that pressing records is that easy. i know that all the details are important, i understand that it'll take long time. but still, the aim is sublime and yes, you were right i'm an engineer. and i can see that prices you posted here are a bit overestimated in some positions. why are you taking so much for water lines and valves? at least 8k! and you forgot about an extruder..
but anyway as you still gonna help me, tell me please how much steam do i need for heating molds? what is the productivity of a stem boiler should be?
Hey Mate
All presses come with extruders or else they are not record presses but say four post hydraulic presses
Steam prefered at 170 PSI More is better 200 PSI Ideal
However rules for high pressure steam are quite stringent wher I operate so we stay at what is best in whatever country
IE Australia at 110 PSI UK at 150 PSI Italy 170 PSI
at 170 PSI Requirement is 1.1-1.25 KG of steam per record So Say 2.5 Records per minute x 60 minutes= steam requirement
Lower pressure = lower speed
Look up your steam tables for pressure/temperature
In regards to piping it comes down to required standard there fore cost A standard domestic 1" diameter pipe is about $25 but a schedule 40 certified pipe of the same length is about $80 and if in Stainless steel double that and that is only good for 125 PSI Than there is simple shit like a return line for condensate a loop for your steam lines a return line for water pressure relief valves for your high pressure pumps non return valves in every outlet point all complying with current regulations
Oh Get a price for two Spirax Sarco water traps the 3 ported ones required in the steam lines around the $1200 Each When you do that crack a bottle of Vodka with a nice loaf of crusty bread and a can of smoked sprats Great way to dull the mind
By the Way
When you look up the steam table you need to remember that Even German Steam follows the same rules
Well Kvasis
I knew exactly where you where going to come from
I have already covered your attitude in my previous post
Why so much for this and so much for that and tra la lala
You respectfully is no different than any other person that I Have ever come across with similar aspirations
They including you seem to Know better than this silly old man who runs 3 plants today with resetting up another 2 plants
Only Time will tell if it ever happens which is most unlikely
Any way Andy B has done it Flight 13 has done it Mart has done it
Rand music has I have Thomas has Gota groove has Acoustic sounds is coming up and quite a few others
Timmy from Toolex Service is still sitting on 3-5 machines somewhere in Germany
May be He has no Aspirations or he is to smart
May be that his dreams of making a fortune via pressing records have come to a sudden halt
So why dont you ask any of the others as Timmy would be of no help to you mate but he may be able to sell you a ouple of presses He has advertised here more than once
By the way most mentioned pop in here every now and than
Or Better still I will give you a job You have a choice Au UK or IT
Conditions
No pay, food and accommodation long hours do about 20-30 titles a day over a few machines Change stampers Dont scratch them Make sure pins and bushes are set right Get press going Dont make rejects Check records for quality Looks and sound The machines are still popping them out Sound is not good adjust the press Recheck not good find the cause Fix it throw out the rejects you just made Punch out the label and Grind them up Put ear protection on or you will go deaf Than start again
You cannot mix the labels or put them back to front Must be dried or you ruin the stampers Cannot have the label oven to hot or you ruin them Noisey hot environment Oil Smelly PVC compound water and steam leaks quite often Danger of blown pipes hydraulics water and steam Not nice
And Hello Thomas
Cheers
Chris

JayDC

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:32 am

so what your saying is, chances are I cannot put one of these machines in my basement... hehehe me and my pipe dreams..

mossy, just out of curiosity, is there anything in existence that will press 10" records? I dunno why, but I'm in love with that size record.. Exactly the size i need, very little waste..

kvasis

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:45 am

Or Better still I will give you a job You have a choice Au UK or IT
Conditions
No pay, food ....
yeah, man i gonna have this job but only give me accommodation and food! italy and uk is ok i have visas! and what about you, don't you want to go to russia? we almost out of bears in the streets nowadays, we can crack some vodka, you can have latvian sprats (i hate this stuff), we'll talk about pressing, your experience in this field is undoubtly great and will be helpful for us, novices. accommodation and food youll get certainly!
by the way, one more question.. to what temperature moulds should be cooled down prior press opening?
Timmy! if you are reading this, are your presses still on offer?

Aussie0zborn

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:31 am

Mossy tells it like it is.

Jay, all you need is a manual (semi-automatic) press so you can chenge moulds from 7", 10" or 12" . An auto press would have to be set up specifically for 10" records.

When Tail Records in Sweden had a pressing plant they pressed 12" records with a 10" cut on them, then trimmed them down to 10".

JayDC

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:58 am

Aussie0zborn wrote:When Tail Records in Sweden had a pressing plant they pressed 12" records with a 10" cut on them, then trimmed them down to 10".

Sounds like a lot of waste, no wonder they HAD a plant..

Aussie0zborn

Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:52 am

Jay, dont worry... Im sure they would have charged for a 12" pressing and got to keep a good portion of the vinyl the customer was paying for.

You're dead right though... 10" is a great format.