Vinyl pressing expensives ? Info needed for budget

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

lathefan

Vinyl pressing expensives ? Info needed for budget

Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi!

What a wonderful forum I find here. I have already learned more in one day then in many years. I will continue to read before I will trouble you with more questions.

I have been thinking of starting up a small business, potbelly just the record pressing plant, no cutting that just seems to be very hard so it will potbelly be best to leave that to the real pros.

The think I find very hard to look up is how much the cost and profit are on making the vinyl records. It would be important for me to know so I could put together a budget and a break even point to se if its possible for me to start pressing vinyl records.

So my questions are simple:

1. how much does the vinyl material cost for 1 vinyl record or 100 if that’s easier.

2. Is the yearly maintanance expensive? I understand that this is very hard to say and that its depends on what brand and year. But what does your machines cost in maintain and how many records do you make a year with it?

3. Is there anything else I should considering in my expensives ?

Hopefully someone could help me with this. I understand if you don’t want to write this in the thread but please pm if so.

Thanks.

/Johan

bancho

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Welcome Johan!

When you will read a little more here you will find out that starting with cutting is waaaaaaay easier than building up the pressing plant.
Maybe for start you would like to read posts under this topic: options: buy a plant, or a mastering solution...? Help!?

Check it under Secrets of the Lathe Trolls section.

I hope this helps for a start.