Concerns with shrink wrap?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

basquiattag

Concerns with shrink wrap?

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm considering buying a shrink wrap tunnel - are there any concerns with record warpage when applying this kind of heat? I suppose it comes down to the temperature and duration. What do you guys think?

cymbalism

Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:52 pm

I used to manage a store here in Omaha and we used one of those small shrink-wrap machines with a heat like hair dryer to seal imports since the majority of them came unsealed and never had an issue with warping. I don't think you'll have issues as long as you're not running them thru too long, doesn't take much time to shrink that plastic, a few seconds tops.
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

Aussie0zborn

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:54 am

Cymbalism has nailed it. Some batches of records did occasionally warp due to shirnk wrapping but ths is considered to be an occasional fault in the heyday of vinyl when they couldn't get them out the door fast enough. This topic has been discussed in great detail over at www.RecordCollectorsGuild.org
Last edited by Aussie0zborn on Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

emorritt

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 am

I have a small industrial shrinkwrapper I use for CD/DVD projects; with records I don't think it's so much the heat but whether or not enough wrap is used. If not enough wrap is pulled from the roll, when it shrinks it will pull the sleeve one way or the other which would lead to warpage. You'd have to apply the heat for a while for a pressing to warp significantly.

basquiattag

Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks everybody,

Aussie0zborn: where on the record collectors guild site is this discussed? In the forum, or somewhere else? If it's the forum, which sub-forum is it? I'd like to find it and read up on this.

Thanks,

Aussie0zborn

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:04 am

In the forum, You will have to do a search as it was discussed a while ago.