How rare (or hard) is it to find a record press for sale?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Harvestboy

How rare (or hard) is it to find a record press for sale?

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:17 am

Are they basically unattainable unless a plant closes down?
Also I'm new, Hello.

fraggle

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:08 am

as long as you know the right people it's certainly not impossible...

piaptk

Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:13 am

I highly recommend you read any of the previous forum questions about starting a record pressing operation. Mossboss has put a lot of good information into them. There are about 20 threads that deal with it. But you won't like what they say unless you have a lot of experience with heavy machinery, a quarter million dollars, and a LOT of time.

mossboss

Re: How rare (or hard) is it to find a record press for sale

Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Harvestboy wrote:Are they basically unattainable unless a plant closes down?
Also I'm new, Hello.
So welcome aboard
Looking at your profile there is No email & No location Whats the secret?
As Piaptk suggests read the threads so as to get a good grip on it
Ill make it simple for you
You tell me how many machines you want bingo it'll happen, Simple there is little if nothing in this world that money cannot buy
Do you want to press for your friends and bands you like as a hobby or this is going to be a serious business
Both fine, by the way you need some deep pockets either way
Cheers
Chris

Harvestboy

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Sorry, no secret. I just didn't think to set up my profile.
If I ever got any presses it'd certainly be to press for friends and all, and I'd probably just want one manual press.
I guess I should mention that I'm seventeen and so I don't plan on getting one any anytime soon (but as soon as possible).

I'm waiting on my first Wilcox Gay Recordette to arrive in the mail. Sorry for making it seem like I was interested in doing business right now. The record making process is just the most interesting thing to me.

What kind of money does someone have to have to get a single manual press? I have read a lot of the older threads on running a pressing plant and it seemed pretty clear that you need to own an industrial building to run any presses. But not including property, what kind of price is common?

mossboss

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:01 pm

Argh! 17 Hey Need to do a lot of harvesting young man I was told that a man is only good for 50 harvests if he is on the land one harvest a year
Starts at 15 yo and retires at 65 yo
So here you are they want to be good harvests to
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:13 pm

You need much more than just a press, be it manual or automatic. You need a variety of other items. So, the price starts to spike pretty quickly. Event for just one press. Plus you would need to buy vinyl compound in bulk which also is not cheap.

If you want to make you own stamper plates then you need all the gear for that which costs about $50K. That doesn't even include the nickel you need to make plates. But, lets say you have mastercraft make your plates. Ok.

You need to get your vinyl compound to be heated up to the point that it is proper to go in the press. That requires a boiler to generate steam. And, an extruder to make the biscuits of hot vinyl. So, now we are talking about valves and pipes and boiler and extruder and possibly a smoke stack, etc. Not to mention the permits and zoning that one needs for all these things.

I think you've heard the price estimate to setup a pressing plant. Something on the order of $500K. So, lets say you setup something much smaller than a full blown plant. I can't see you having something workable for less than $200K. I could be wrong though. I don't press records.

You mentioned that you are waiting to get a Recordette. Did you want to cut or press? Or, cut and press? If you wanted to cut your own masters add another $30K to the price for a lathe. That doesn't include the cost of all the other audio gear you would need to start cutting or a stock of masters and dubs.

So, you know what it takes. You've heard from the guys doing it. You have a goal to shoot for. Make it happen! Only you determine what you can and can't do. If you really want something there is no barrier to keep you from it. In the meantime though, get some experience. Go work for Mossboss in Florida at his newly acquired plant. You would get to know the process of making records firsthand. And you would likely make some great contacts.

Have fun with the Recordette. If you are ever in Chicago and want to see a lathe in action hit me up.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Harvestboy

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks for the response. I've been trying to learn as much as I can about the record pressing process. I appreciate the information opcode, very helpful. Maybe I'll move in with my grandma next summer and try to get a job sweeping the floors for mossboss. I want to to do everything, but right now I'm slowly working my way towards just cutting. I was wondering though, why do they do record platting with silver and not something cheaper? Is it the only thing that can withstand the pressure?

Also, are there any good books that help explain the record pressing process in depth?

The best wishes,
Noah

mossboss

Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:05 am

Noah
Here are a few little clips from Zenith Records in Melbourne
Have a look also look at all the pressing clips on u tube young man
The silvering is done only to make the lacquer conductive so as to plate up the nickel to get a stamper
It is expensive but not on a lacquer to lacquer basis
it is stripped off the nickel plate once it is made, it is about a few atomic layers about 50-60 millionths of an inch thick so no big deal there on cost
Ok here you are there are 3 clips Manual presses
Cheers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93kOkoLkTPw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlr5oikVmE0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i89kuO3108&feature=related
Chris

dietrich10

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm

45k I'll get you 2 semi auto presses, 7 and 12" moulds, extruder, steam source, a/c compressor. packing table with spindle holes.... trimmers, label die cut press....

just need a cooling tower
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

mossboss

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm

A 17 Year old kid with $45K available Wish I had that at 17 years of age He He
Cheers
Chris

piaptk

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:41 pm

mossboss wrote:A 17 Year old kid with $45K available Wish I had that at 17 years of age He He
Cheers
I wish I had a tenth of that available at 32 yrs old!