Is there a difference between black, colored and glow vinyl?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

concretecowboy71

Is there a difference between black, colored and glow vinyl?

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Here is one for all of you pressing guys out there.

I have a client who ordered the same record on colored and glow in the dark vinyl. He is getting skips in the glow in the dark, but not on the colored vinyl.

The pressing guys said the grooves were not cut deep enough for glow in the dark vinyl.

I have not seen the test press yet, so I cannot tell you what the groove width is, but I start with a 2mil groove a vast majority of the time.

Are there any known differences between black, colored and glow vinyl that requires deeper grooves to be cut for these different types of vinyl?

Any discussion at all about different vinyl types is welcome.

I admittedly, don't know much on this topic.

As always, thanks.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

Aussie0zborn

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Had never used glow vinyl so I dont know whats in it. Seems they might need a longer pressing cycle to avoid non-fill.

It's easy enough to blame the cut but if there is non-fill then that is a pressing problem. Sometimes you meed to work together... you make a depper cut, they increase the pressing cycle.

Im sure Mossy will have an idea.

jjgolden

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Not sure about the glow compound either.
If you can get your hands on a test pressing, check for "Orange Peel."
The rippled (orange peel skin) look on the surface of the disc. It can cause the playback needle/cartridge to bounce up and down resulting in noticeable tracking distortion and in some cases dropouts & skipping.

JJG

montalbano

Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:58 pm

What do you mean with "glow in the dark"? Fluorescent? Brilliant?
Normally, colored PVC is slightly softer than black PVC. And when pressed, both compounds will melt together without issues.
Also it seems a little strange that a skipping can be caused by a non fill, unless it is really massive. A non fill would normally cause just crackles, not skipping. Unless, of course, it is so massive that you see holes in the record.
It should be interesting, first of all, to know whether the records you are talking about are manufactured on manual or automatic presses.
Last edited by montalbano on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil from Phono Press, Milan, Italy
http://www.phonopress.it

concretecowboy71

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:22 pm

I mean, literally, giving off light in a dark room. Luminescence. The client is sending me test pressings and I will take photos after I listen to them.

Thanks for the first impressions.

mossboss

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:07 am

Hey betton
I think the pressing guys re having you on
If you have not changed your settings on your lathe having consistent results without skipping than there is no reason you should buy this one
I would have a look at the cut so as to make sure that there is not a decreasing groove width due to a slightly out of phase signal which would make the pressing step unpredictable
Other than that weather it glows in the dark or does not It should not matter
I can assure you never a skipping record has ever being corrected by adjustng pressing conditions on the press that is assuming it is run by a professional and not you know what
Cheers
Chris

concretecowboy71

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks.

I thought that it was not logical, but I am still waiting on the test press.

I was wondering about the out of phase material also.

I will post more when I can get it under the scope.

concretecowboy71

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:40 am

I got the test pressings in the mail for this one over the weekend and found a couple things.

1) I found a defect in the grooves that were certainly on the master. It looks the same as the defect discussed in this thread:

[url]https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=2426&highlight=defect&mforum=lathetrolls[/url]

I still do not know what is causing this. Perhaps I will revive that thread because I have some new observations that I would like to throw out there.

2)There is one skip that happens on the glow in the dark that cannot be repeated on the black copy. I find this odd. Any ideas?

BTW-- The Glow in the Dark vinyl sounds awful! Sounds like an old 78rpm disc.