set of 12inch moulds with flat label profile...

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

flozki

set of 12inch moulds with flat label profile...

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:53 pm

hello
for one of those "art" editions we need a set of 12 inch moulds with no profile in labelzone.

the thing is, that the record will be pressed without label.
rand muzik did a perfect job. but they have as most pressing plants a profile in the label zone. that means its a little thicker where the label goes.
back in the days we had the polygram profile. kind of a ring where the label starts..

but we need a flat one. i guess no one has that
so if someone has an old set to sell.
we can remachine.... just needs to go for another 1000-2000 pressings. thats all. so could be quite worn out...

prefered for TTT presses or Toolex...

or if you think you can do the job. let me know...

how much goes a new mould set these days?

thanks
f.

mossboss

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 am

Flo
FYI
All moulds are manufactured without any profile on them as the maker has no idea what profile is required
To machine an old set will most likely be a futile exercise as it would be at the end of its life with little meat left on it
It will most likely leak steam and water around the label area
Moulds at a cost of 4,400 Euro plus VAT are used until there is nothing left on them
So after 2-3 re profiles they are very very thin at the top especially around the label area as more metal is removed from there
The thickness at the top part is a compromise as to thick they are very slow To thin they do not last long enough to justify the cost
My suggestion is to find someone with a new set of moulds which have just the required thickness as the profile on them but not the relief for the labels
Get your job done than they can machine them around the label are so as to get the final shape after you got your pressings
It involves around the Euro 300-350 twice as first they have to be machined for no label and than again for label
It involves setting them up on the lathe twice it is time consuming for the machinist so if they charge around the 80 Eu per hour for man and machine it does not take long to eat up that kind of cost
The other way my friend
Hope this makes sense
Is the job worth an extra 600-700 euro?
Cheers
Chris