Russian Vinyl Record Production

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mossboss

Russian Vinyl Record Production

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Well you just never know what you find reading material on music genre of all kinds
Here I am reading Music and Musical life in Russia 1917-1970 by Boris Scwarz published about 1972 and I come across a few references to Melodiya Records the centralised record pressing plant in Moscow at the time
Here is Madame Furtseva " In the field of recorded music mentions with pride that the firm established in 1964 that the number of recordings issued has increased fifty percent and will exceed the 180,000,000 mark in the current year"
The statement above was made at around the year 1967 when she was extolling the virtues of the Arts in the USSR
Even if it took 3 years to produce that number it must have been a very serious operation at 50-60 million pressings per year
The fact is that there is no plant in Russia as yet any way and my efforts to find whatever happened to that plant have resulted to nothing
We do know that in 1982 Alpha sold them a stack of presses and they did have a Neumann DMM besides a few lacquer cutting lathes of which nothing has ever being heard of either
Amazing really how something like that would just evaporate
Any one here with any clues? would be interesting to know
Cheers
Chris

picturedisc

Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:32 am

Hello mossboss,

I was going to tell you that at that time, many companies in the USSR after the fall of communism, have evaporated !!!
At that time, plants have even found abandoned and are now brownfields. :(
But after research, may be do not you read the info page that I think is interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodiya

I hope to have you helped a little and I continued my research.
Grampian lathe, sc99, vc200

mossboss

Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Thank You
I was aware of that as well as all the different labels etc
I am more interested in finding out whatever happened to the installation as well as the cutting lathes there
I know they had at least a DMM as well as 3 lacquer lathes
I followed up a rumor that someone in the UK had bought them but it was a furphy
The people there I am sure would have protected the cutting room as it would have been a very exclusive club to belong to
May be not the press shop
any way Thanks again
Any others out there?
Cheers
Chris

andybee

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:57 am

Some years ago, when I start to search for a 702, I had a info,
that in St. Petersburg are some toolex, but only 12inch.
But, the winter in russia is very strong, so most machines are dead,
AFAIK.
Someone from vinylium.ch was there, but machines
where in very bad condition... after 10-15 winters with -50degrees...
I just heard this, don´t know what exactly happend....

:roll:

haxixin

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:06 am

In Portugal i saw at least 2 Neumann VMS, parked in the hall of a big record companys to put the pencils on and to hang the secretary coat every morning. Dont want to sell...the two portuguese press plants have been desmantled and selled as junk 15 years ago. There are other small press plant closed, but family dont want to sell to. Unfortunely. But there are other laquer lathes aroud here. im on the field to figure out were they are.
PRESTO 6N, REK O KUT, NEUMANN, VINYLIUM, VINYL LOVER

andybee

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:41 am

yes, stories and stories :)

mossboss

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Yes Andy & Edgar
Yeah right stories
One can go on looking around following dead leads getting nowhere, all of that
There was a few Alpha manual machines in France which the old widowed lady of the owner wanted to keep
But when the new son in law was given access to the premisses so as to use the space for some other purpose they got scrapped
This is not a story its a fact as Aussie would confirm he pursued the lady for years but she would not part with them
There is some true in the stories some of the time
From my perspective I am curious more than anything else really
No doubt that with the price of scrap steel reaching around the $450 per tonne a few years these beasts would no longer be there
Most likely they are running around like a Toyota or a Kia so we can take comfort in the fact that they are reborn never have really left us
Oh by the way there is a VMS 70 at the entrance hall of Sony BMG head office in Sydney Australia but it is in some kind of a glassed in display where it is at least protected from the environment
It seems to be all intact as well sitting there ready to take a lacquer to cut
They will take offers for sure they have for years
Yeah Right!
Join the long list already there don't hold your breath
There is a perfect example right now as we are exchanging this
There is an SX 68 on ebay with a starting price of 7777 euro like $10 k unknown state of function
The guy may be a warlock discuising the 6666 spell by adding 1 to each digit
The pair of damaged SX74 sold a week ago or so for $5.5 K
Both Need a feedback coil rewind
So say $1500 each they would be considered fair value
In my opinion they are heading towards the high side if there is more work to be done in the internals like the main coils coming adrift
Any way these things fall in the category or in the world of unobtanioum This is at play here
The devil is in the details He He
Cheers
Chris

dietrich10

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:11 pm

slightly on/off topic-
China never produced vinyl records?
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

haxixin

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:39 pm

yes they did, and if you consider Hong Kong, Macau or Shangai a part o China even more, i have some 78 rpm pressed in China in the beguining of the comunist regime. Political chants, i grab them in a flea market right here in Lisbon. Some Macau people should have brought them to here.
PRESTO 6N, REK O KUT, NEUMANN, VINYLIUM, VINYL LOVER

Aussie0zborn

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 pm

CRC (China Record Company) produced vinyl records and exported vinyl compound. Nice compound except for when it was over-heated... when this happened you really needed a gas mask.

mossboss

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:07 am

Typical NY dude Looking for cheap cutting heads ex China :wink:
Cheers
Chris