Cheap Blank Vinyl Discs?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

razz

Cheap Blank Vinyl Discs?

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:15 am

Does anybody where to get cheap blank vinyl in 1mm and 1,5mm in Europe ore russia?

mossboss

Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:44 am

And what would you do with this material and your vinyl recorder?
And how much would you be wanting? 1 kg or 10,0000 kg?
Any PVC manufacturer anywhere in the world should be able to supply you with it
Is no big deal really there are no secrets to any product that's been around for over fifty years that's for sure and I can assure you there are no secrets on this one either
Cheers
Chris

andybee

Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:31 pm

it is a big deal, if you want black blanks...
there is only one manufacturer (as far as I know) for souris sandwich discs, middle black and 2x transparent surface on each side + protection sheet on each side.

mossboss

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:15 pm

So do you think that Souri or any one else would lower their price because of lower pvc cost? You got to be joking
After all this time watching the posts on this very forum no one has managed to get anywhere near what Souri supplies and at the cost he does
So why bother
It is available and at a fair price by comparison to Lacquers
It will not revolutionise the lathe cut record industry either as it is time related rather than material cost and there is no way that it will be 2/3 cheaper so as to make any difference
Any way the point being that every one wants to make a rather dificult and time consuming task at a lower cost by not looking at where the real cost is and it is not in the PVC or the equipment employed but rather in the time it takes
Cheers
Chris

andybee

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:33 am

yes, mossy is 100% right, souri makes a good price for his product.

emidisc

why bother?

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:32 pm

I was under the impression that souri does not sell blanks to people
who have not previously bought a vinyl recorder from himself is this correct ?

andybee

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:50 am

yes, that´s true :(

mossboss

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 am

But any one who has access to these blanks will sell you as many as you want at no more than they have paid so no big deal really
Any way this place has it fair share of dreamers as well as unrealistic people who hardly do any background work so as to find out what's what so they post up silly questions and proposals which have no basis in reality
Just like the 17 yo kid who wanted to get into the record pressing game
And the guy who is currently building a press!!!!! to do 12" records out of who knows what
Wonders will never cease
Cheers
Chris

fraggle

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:07 am

dreams are often the beginning my friend :) lol

emidisc

why bother

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:30 am

"I have a dream"

mossboss

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:08 am

Man must have dreams It is part of our being No doubt about that
It dismays me to see people spending time as well as hard earned money on a way to no where
Trying to short circuit methods and procedures or ways of doing things well proven is the dream that I refer to
So to some here! keep on dreaming we will not disturb you Ha
Cheers
Chris

d1rk

lmao

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:32 pm

I been away for a while I see its all the same!! still looking for those blank records! Mossy and Andybee still at it!
HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Audiofiligram

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 am

Ameise got some Black PVC Blanks and clear Polycarbonate Blanks to sell

www.amei.se

djlithium

Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:57 am

Is it not possible to just press up a run of 100 blank 12" vinyl records and use those? Am I missing something here?
I need a full cutting solution. But would consider parts :)

opcode66

Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 pm

It seems pressed vinyl is harder than the Polycarbonate sheets that are CNC cut into discs for a vinyl lathe. We have had some poeple who do pressings suggest that a softer compound could be formulated and used. However, I have yet to hear of anyone who has done a pressed run and been able to successfully use the pressed discs the same as the Polycarb ones.

You don't want to mess around here since you have to use a diamond to cut plastic (pressed or polycarb). Those are $350 a piece. If you are cutting into a pressed blank and it is very hard you could easily damage your stylus. That's $350 down the drain. Once it is damaged you will only cut noisey grooves. You will hear an audible SHHHHHHHHHH in the resulting grooves.

Most people are reluctant to "experiment" with the unknown when a mistake costs $350....
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

andybee

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 am

yes, opcode is right! pressed vinyl is much harder then other stuff arround...
there is also the black color inside, grime, smut, soot, however you name it, that grinds your stylus a bit....
that´s the reason, why souri uses sandwich discs as "black" blanks, so a black core, approx. 1mm thickness, and on both sides two thin transparent coatings, each approx. 0.25mm thickness.
so, the chip is also transparent:

mossboss

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:29 pm

It is a wonder that people will pursue things that are not achievable
This alternative to Souri's poly has been flogged to death here
At the end of the day the difference is not that much
When would people relise that lathe cuts at around the 50 units and above say 8-10 minutes a side become a rather marginal exercise getting very close to pressing cost's
There are people here who think that to loose money doing a task is fine No one can dictate what one does with their money It becomes an issue however if they advertise the cost which has a tendency to establish a price for the job which makes every other participant in the game vulnerable
I do agree every now and than its OK say for the love of a project something unique etc
It is hard for any one to accept that on an ongoing basis
There fore that lack of response by people here
Have no fear There would have been qujte a few responses to that rebellious dude from guys that monitor the posts here picking up work
On another point
Some time back someone did suggest a wikipedia for this forum
Now I know why
It seems that we answer the same questions time and again
I am sure a wiki is where the searcher would find most answers quite easily
There is also the transient member here which goes something like: join up ask and ask may be buy or sell something pick up as much as one can possibly can than disappear of the scene as quickly as they appeared
Not an issue with me at all really I am sure it is the same with others here as well
It is just an observation
Cheers
Chris

piaptk

Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:51 am

I pressed some trans red blank 7"s and they cut great with a diamond... Sounded fantastic. But, I only did a handful of cuts and put the diamond away. I was just too paranoid until I get my dashpot working better....

Still have some of the trans red blanks with UK centers and gold labels if anyone is interested in experimenting with them... $2 each.

d

Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 am

hey everyone. happy new year!

i will add to this post even if it is duplicating some older threads.

I think time is changing and things are moving towards new things. "Lathe cut" releases are getting wider more and more of us willing to do that. As me I like the art of cutting even if I did not get good results till now. But I will go forward to do the best. It is a big money for a hobby and looking for better and cheaper alternatives.

This is like photography. The digital cameras does not change the photography it is just the alternative to it. Prices on silver rises so the films and paper too. But people does not throw away enlargers, trays and cameras. they still like it and do it. the same here.

About souri blanks... they are good priced, but i dont think that it will be a good idea to bother any of souri's clients to get those blanks... It is some kind of head-ache for those who can supply of souri blanks. And if souri is selling to his "registered members" he could get suspicious about that if one person will order more and more everytime. This is just my thoughts about this.

Anyway, on the similar thread there was talking about pressed vinyls with different compound or smth that would be good for cutting. I think i read somewhere here that Shank has pressed blanks and they are very good for cutting. Correct me if I am wrong.

So that would be very nice to get black pressed blanks that are good for cutting.

Moss you are the man here and i think you could think about something toward those blanks for cutting :)

good day for you all
_______

mossboss

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 am

Been down that path
To damn hard
Not the process the people
Here is a line
I will take 10 x 12" 10 x 7" but I want them in 4 different colours 2 red 2 black 2 yellow 2 green the other 2 in orange, please make sure that there is no purple as it clashes with my astrological chart this month, may be the next order than when the stars are more benevolent better aligned
Total sale price $18 Post office trip packing customs declaration etc etc
Than
Arghhhh I got the package but it was damaged in transit
Send me another lot at your cost Its not my fault Well it must be ours than Mmmmmm
Got them but the do not cut with sapphire the do not emboss they sound like shit I want my money back
I cant get the chip to go into the tube Its the material What can you do about it?
There are not flat they have a ridge at the edge
Or you mean a lead in guard?
No the thick part on the outside I do not want them I will send them back I want all my money back and you have to wear the postage both ways
Mate I got those black blanks They are bloody great they do sound good they are reasonable priced the also look like records Can I get another 100 please
But thats one in a 1000
Lots of time spend answering stupid request other wise
Lovely Stuff
I let some others do it
There are better things to do in life
Cheers
Chris