question regarding toolex alpa mold size

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fraggle

question regarding toolex alpa mold size

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:37 pm

is it right that i can swap the mold size on toolex alpha machines.
can i basically use the press for 12.10 and 7 inch?
I just swap the molds and change the cycle?
cheers

Aussie0zborn

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 am

Boris, that will depend on whether or not you have a press - and then, on which press you have.

fraggle

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 am

I am talking about a toolex alpha 1202.
i just wanted to know if its possible to use any size mold with that machine?
cheers :)

andybee

Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 pm

1. change the mouldholder + extraparts
2. change the moulds
3. change the cakeformer + lower plate
4. change the unloading arm (!)
5. change the trimming turntable and knive...
6. change the pusher
7. change all the other parts....

so, no job to do every day....

Aussie0zborn

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:07 pm

It is possible to convert a 12" automatic Toolex press to other sizes but once you do it you do not want to change it back again. This is a conversion and not a changeover, if you know what I mean.

With a manual press you can change over to different size moulds in an hour or so.

Did you buy a press?

fraggle

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:01 am

Thank you andy.
@ aussie no but i am thinking about it. maybe in the future maybe not.
Cant be fuc... to work in my job all the time + working for someone esle sucks.

Aussie0zborn

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:07 am

Boris, if you are serious and get a chance, a manual Alpha Toolex will allow you to do all this. Easier to maintain than an auto press and allows you to have a small operation that is manageable.

So are you in Germany now?

fraggle

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:31 am

Yeah I am in germany.
I decided to stay for a while who knows i might go back to oz one day.
Yeah a manual press would be good to start and get the feeling but it seems like they are pretty rare, any hint?
I mean what sort of manual press would you recommend apart from the toolex?
cheers

opcode66

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:32 am

Hmm. I've seen two 1202 in UK for sale. Same one? I'm tempted to pick up some of the galvonics.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

mossboss

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:22 pm

Mates all of you here Ok
The 2 x 1202 and galvs in the uk where sold well over a year ago
I do know the buyer
There are a few manual presses around but no one wants to part with them for love or money
Autos! there are a few available
Cheers
Chris

montalbano

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:45 pm

It is also possible to convert an Alpha Toolex 12" to 10" without going crazy in replacing parts etc.

It has a sense (in my view) only if you have inline granulators (as we have), because with this technique every record will have a significant amount of flash. You will also need one worker to trim the records.

But the operation will be much faster than with manual presses. (we have 10" moulds also for our manual presses)

Anyway, here's the Italian way:

you need
- one set of 12" moulds to be refaced and reprofiled for 10", this means that you reprofile a regular mould for 12" with the profile of a 10", without worrying of the outer area. You might even avoid the "sacrifice" a good 12" set by using a set of old 12" moulds you are not using anymore e.g. because they are leaking or damaged in the area outside the inner 10". In this case you weld them if they are leaking or you leave them as they are if they are damaged in the diameter outside
- one manual trimmer with the knife cutting FROM ABOVE (so not working like a pair of scissors, like the knives of the auto Alphas trimmers do). Here we have old manual trimmers manufactured by Pressvit (Italian company); they have a knife acting from above and then another tool to smoothen the edge while the record keeps spinning. With scissors-type trimmers, it would be impossible to trim more than 2" of flash.

then you
- cut 14" (not 12") master lacquers with the Neumann using the setting for 10" for groove start etc.
- you plate as always, and form the stamper as always
- mount them exactly like 12" records: same rings etc., but of course on the reprofiled moulds
- remove the Alpha Toolex trimming TT unit: pin, TT etc. and replace it with a flat surface
- remove the air pipes activating the trimmer TT to move up and down
- remove the air pipes of the knives so that they don't move anymore
- take the records just when they are unloaded, manually trim them with the 10" trimmer and sleeve them

that's it

tip: if you use an economy ring to unload the record (so not the standard Alpha ring with the islets) you will produce less flash
Phil from Phono Press, Milan, Italy
http://www.phonopress.it

andybee

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:28 am

yes yes montal :) some germans do it the same way :)

:D

mossboss

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 am

There is no "bead" or "lead in" on records trimmed down to a lesser diameter
1400 presses have only a 12" mold, it has a raised ring machined on the molds to "seal" at the desired size, to make a "bead"
Italian or German way? 1400 presses where English made But that was before the EU 8)
Chris

montalbano

Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Hey Chris
the "bead" is done by the modified profile of the moulds. The final trimming by the trimmer.
Of course the man which reprofiles the moulds has to dig the 10" edge profile at the same level of the original 12" edge.
And the trimmer must be adjustable.
The arm of these trimmers can be adjusted up to 2.5 inches back and forth.
So it wouldn't be possible to trim a 7" records without modifications, but 10"s have no issues.
Smaller plate (due to the vacuum holes) and that's it
Phil from Phono Press, Milan, Italy
http://www.phonopress.it

mossboss

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:38 am

It would be a waste of time my friend to take 1-1.25 mm off the face of each side a set of 12" used moulds
If they have been refaced 2 odd times There would be no "meat" left on them
If one wants to pay $400-600 so as to find out that he has a useless pair of molds in his hands I see no point To me that is false economy
Any way assuming that it is all good and one does finish up with a set of 12" down to 10" you still have the issue of trimming them down as well as regrinding the excess material
For a manual press where there is an operator there any way I can see the merits
For all this this on an auto machine? What's the point?
There are successfully modified 1202 pressing 7" records
For the 10" format all the gear is easily available If you think about it you only need a reduction ring for the 12" arm down to 10"
Than you will need a 10" inner ring for the un-loader
Turntable, is easy to turn one up on the 12" centre the trimmer knife is easily moved cake former is again a simple matter so why bother
Molds are a consumable so a new set of 10" is required the bits like stamper holder as well as bayonet ring holders are available as new and I am sure there are some used sitting around
I would not bother with it and it is not a case that there is any great demand for the 10" format so as to warrant changing a machine over on demand or having a dedicated 10" press sitting idle for most of the time
Unless there is some real change in the market as we know it I would need to be convinced on the 10" format regardless
We are answering a question here for some aspiring ex Record cutter who now wants to be a pressing guy some time in the future Hello Boris
Cheers :?
Chris

fraggle

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 pm

hey guys thank you for all the answers.
@mossy i am just curious. I didnt say i want to be a pressman lol:)
Cheers