Very interesting press!

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fraggle

Very interesting press!

Sun May 13, 2012 10:13 am

shouldn't be too hard to modify this?
cheers

Angus McCarthy

Sun May 13, 2012 11:38 am

I believe I've seen a video with a record press very much like that last one, and yes, it was a completely manual job.

fraggle

Sun May 13, 2012 11:41 am

it really shouldnt be a problem you just need an extruder and you can get those machines brand new. have you got a link to that video?

Angus McCarthy

Sun May 13, 2012 12:18 pm

I don't think I saved the link, but it was posted somewhere on here... a Russian or Eastern European pressing plant, I think.

mossboss

Sun May 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Yes GZ all TTT's made in the USA by Hamilton very similar but than again all four post presses look similar don't they?
By the way if you think you can press records with the Chinese press you are in for a surprise
You need European tonnes not the Chinese ones man
The Bucher would be most likely viable if it can push 110 tonne as well as having a speed of about 120 cm/s or you be waiting ages for it to close and open
It appears to be a thermosetting press with heated platens as you can see steam lines or power cables going in to the the top as well as the bottom platen
So it needs to have extra hydraulics so as to have a high speed low pressure as well as high pressure and by default low speed
These compression molding presses were never fast any way as there is no need for them to be fast as it takes some time to set the urea material that is normally used with them so a few seconds here and there may be not very significant
This press may also be a rubber molding press which would certainly have the tonnage but once again slow something that a pressing plant can simply not afford at the prices paid for pressing records today
Besides one would also need a lot of expense so as to get it right with the control system like times for pressing heating cooling stay shut relax open etc So a plc would be in order another 2-3 K including programming and some wiring to and fro
Set of molds at 4,200 euros plus a carrier for them another 3,000 also 3 steam valves and of course boiler and cooling system plus plumbing as well as all the associated gear Centering, forming, circle cutter, record trimmer say about 4 k and an extruder at around the 5-6 K euros plus a granulater for the rejects as well as the flash so whats the point??
If there was demand for these kind of presses I can assure everyone out there it would be made available for sure However in so far as return on investment it would be financial suicide there fore no new presses These people are not stupid simple calculation will indicate a pay back time well after the end life of the press and no serous businessman will ever do that
This is only for the realm of dreamers and romantics
Last edited by mossboss on Sun May 13, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Angus McCarthy

Sun May 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Well, yes mossy, but at least it makes for an interesting thought experiment, no? Also I could see one of these more easily adapted to the Cook process rather than conventional hot biscuit pressing.

mossboss

Sun May 13, 2012 10:02 pm

As you wish mate In fact it most likely be good for that without any mods as a slow one a minute or a minute and a half kind of hobby style or small production runs as against lathe cuts But one still needs metal plates ie galvanics or plating them up from cut lacquers as well as molds so on the surface it seems that the $$ may not add up or be fairly tight as one will have to pay for the cut as well as metal work which would run up about $400-500 so at a fifty run you already have about $8-10 per record before you start pressing
Thought process is OK as lot less cost is involved in that case
Cheers
Chris

fraggle

Mon May 14, 2012 2:55 am

some of them are made in germany. just one link is that china crap.
if you can do a lot yourself i cant see why it shoud not work. but yeah you need to spend money for sure....

mossboss

Mon May 14, 2012 5:15 am

Look in any press and make sure the piston in the cylinder is as large as the record you want to press even a little larger in diameter
The projected area should about even or a little more if you want to press good records without non fill as well as stitching
The other criteria should be the diameter of the rods
They should be about 4" in diameter double locked at the fixing points top and or bottom or else they will come loose or stretch if your dies/molds a little out of perfectly flat at the surface this will accentuate the problem they are never perfect
Than assuming they can get at just over 100 tonne minimum 120 tonne preferable no big deal really they would be fine
At the end of the day all SMT's as well as Leneds and TTT's as well as the famous EMI 1400 are standard 4 post presses adapted for pressing records
That is done with a high speed closing hydraulic circuit as well as a pressure multiplier so as to get the tonnage required for the final squeeze which is only 1/2-1" or so if the press is only say a 25 tonne machine
This multiplier can be an adaptation of a 2.5 to one ratio of a good strong double hydraulic ram which does not have to be enclosed within the oil tank
It is piped in circuit so when it is activated it will supply say a cup full or two of oil at 2.5 times the pressure applied to it
Just like a brake master cylinder in any motor car
Getting a press with a 300 tonne car style jack will just not cut it as the pressure is at only one point at the most spread over 2-3 inches
So here you are all you guys that want to get a standard press and modify it so as to make records a few pointers on the subject
Easy but one needs the technical skills not hard as well as a good bank balance for it
This may be a little harder I would have thought
Cheers
Chris

fraggle

Mon May 14, 2012 6:37 am

agreed

duomo

Fri May 18, 2012 6:13 am

I found another very interessting press two days ago:
Its a real beauty!!
It looks like its a stand alone version, with all needed features!
you can buy a technical manual of this machine here :
http://sammlerhaus-koethen.de/NEU/vorschlg/V_014.htm
but the guy wants 350 € for it !

Angus McCarthy

Fri May 18, 2012 3:18 pm

It's so shiny...

dietrich10

Sat May 19, 2012 10:33 am

love the look. could work it into your kitchen
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

Serif

Sat May 19, 2012 11:44 am

Drawings of the Schulze show the letters, DDR, on the side of the shipping crate. This is a "Communist" press. (: Viva la Révolution (de los discos)!

I had occasion to visit East Germany in 1983. Drove to Dresden and saw that only the farm machines (harvesters) were modern. Everything else was from the '40's or before. Beautiful not to have billboards on the roadside. I listened to Radio Free Europe in the car radio and heard an interview with George Clinton in which he vowed to make laser disc hologram performance video albums by his next release. We had to wait a long time for Tupac to do this - albeit posthumously. And not in one's own livingroom....

Atomkraft? Nein Danke.

- Helmut Kalteschmelzung

andybee

Sat May 19, 2012 11:48 am

no extruder, only a simple hydraulic press with book type moulds...
nothing special....
nice photo anyway :)