Pressing Alternate Materials and Strange Shapes

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Angus McCarthy

Pressing Alternate Materials and Strange Shapes

Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Some of the records I've collected over the years are ones I've grabbed simply because they struck me as odd in some way. One of them I pulled back out recently is a quarter-inch thick square orange "celluloid" single. I thought it might be good to discuss what exactly goes into pressing strange shapes and odd materials.

Aussie0zborn

Fri May 25, 2012 10:09 pm

Interesting. A 1/4" thick record. A photo would be good.

Most shaped records are 12" pressings
With a 7" cut on them. The area between the 7" and 12" diameter is cut to give the record an unusual shape.

A most unusual record is one listed in the Hot Wacks bootleg bible.... A B52s bootleg record made in Japan out of metal. Still haven't seen a pic and can only imagine it was a set of mothers glued together. But then, how many of those can you make?

The liquid filled record released by Third Man Records is another very unusual one, as is their 7" single that pops out of the 12" record.