Splatter,color, and wacky vinyl records.

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

KeeLeh21

Splatter,color, and wacky vinyl records.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:02 pm

Sup Trolls

Looking for techniques for producing wacky looking vinyl records.
Here are some of mine I have made using different techniques.

And here's a really crazy one made by a co-worker of mine.

Angus McCarthy

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm curious how one might go about recreating the pattern from the Bel Canto demo disc. It looks like they took three strips of primary-colored vinyl and laid them at angles to each other in the press.

Curley-Ann

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Well, while we're at it...
Does anyone have 78's made in the early-mid 1920's and released on the "Pathe" label..?
These were what were called "mottled" wax, and were a marbled brownish-red and black...

Angus McCarthy

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 pm

These, you mean:

Curley-Ann

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Yipper-Dipper...
Those be them!

KeeLeh21

Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Angus McCarthy wrote:I'm curious how one might go about recreating the pattern from the Bel Canto demo disc. It looks like they took three strips of primary-colored vinyl and laid them at angles to each other in the press.
yep simple as that. 3 strips of color, laid on top of each other, and pressed.

KeeLeh21

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Curley-Ann wrote:Yipper-Dipper...
Those be them!
2013 "mottled wax"

KeeLeh21

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:37 pm

My question is this, how do I get my splatter to look like the picture below?
the only thing I can think of is using low heated regring instead of virgin pellets to get that wispy flame effect and maybe lowering the mold temps. I dont know somebody help me out.

Aussie0zborn

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30 am

I wouldn't suggest lowering the mould temperature at any time. All the photos in this post look great.

The flame effect could have been made using not pellets but short extrusions. If the extruder extrudes "spaghetti" that forms in the cup to make a "puck" you can disengage the cup, extrude for 3 seconds or so, then use the short lengths of spaghetti in your puck by laying them into the puck diagonally. If your extruder doesn't extrude in spaghetti form then this won't work.

I can't think of any other way to get this flame effect and I don't agree with putting unheated pellets in a puck to get a splatter effect.

So where is it that you and your colleague make this pressings ? What equipment do you use?

fraggle

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 am

the first record looks amazing, never seen a record beeing so nice looking

KeeLeh21

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 pm

@Oz We work at Gotta Groove Records in Ohio, Vince Slusarz the owner bought the closing Sun Dynamics company in NJ presses (auto. Hamiltons, SMT's), and we have a manual Finebilt from an independent presser from Cleveland, all outfitted with digital temp. gauges thanks to our in house machinist Dan. I am confused as to why you say dont mess with the mold temps? Can you please explain?

@Fraggle Thanks bro.

Aussie0zborn

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Oh so you work at Gotta Groove - why didnt you say so? Gotta Groove needs no introduction here.

Your mould temeperature needs to be where it needs to be to mould the record properly. Lowering the temperature just to mess with colours is not going to give you the same moulding capability - if it did you would be ussing a lower mould temperature in the first place.

Ever pressed a record with the steam inlet valve closed? Doesn't make for a good record and renders the stampers useless.

So do any of your extruders extrude spaghetti or just one long big fat bog?

piaptk

Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Those are gorgeous... I thought pirates press (GZ) did nice work, but those put them to shame! The Flaming Lips pressed some similar crazy records somewhere in Dallas recently...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

KeeLeh21

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:20 pm

@Oz well throughout the day I do change the mold temp anywhere between 280 - 320F. depending on the amount of flash I want, without changing the water delay.

and no I dont think im brave enough to touch the steam valve and press a record haha

Yeah all of our extruders put out log's.

@Piaptk Thanks man I appreciate that.
And these are from A&R, theres a youtube video of it
http://cakeheadlovesevil.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/flaming-lips-multi-coloured-vinyl/

this was done just by dumping small amounts of color in the hopper and just letting it extrude and blend with other colors that have already passed through. Odd choice not to use labels though. Im sure that provided them with plenty of color regring.

montalbano

Re: Splatter,color, and wacky vinyl records.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Here is my little contribution ... a little bit different from the usual splattered records etc.

TCS manual press + additional extruder of the AD702, which is very close to one of the TCS
(we were pressing with all machines today so I was able to try this trick)

Not a happy choice of colours, but it is just to show how to do it.
Phil from Phono Press, Milan, Italy
http://www.phonopress.it

KeeLeh21

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 am

I think these would have been a big hit in the 1970's

tragwag

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 pm

my gf would love a record that looks like that!!
how much? :)
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

mossboss

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:07 am

All good stuff No two records the same which is what the idea of sprinkling pellets mixing them up in the hopper etc etc etc
Assuming the extruder was a blending type there is no way any of the premixed various color pellets would be obvious as a blending extruder would do just that blend them to whatever color as a single mass
The extruders used for records are really pre plasticizing rather than blenders there fore the various color pellets remaining more or less un blended
Here is a somewhat well known trick from days past
Place 3 extruders say at 60-80 degrees apart to a common puck former each with a different color blend or even straight colored pellets in the hoppers make two or three cakes cut them in half or 1/3 each or quarters whatever takes your fancy
Take the cut bits from puck stick them back into a rough round cake place them on the press and get a real surprise
You can have the spare label oven set at a higher temp than drying labels so as to keep the remaining bits of puck hot enough for the next cycle or two
Fun stuff, in this way you can get some reasonable repeatability of the result as well given you stick them together to a certain pattern
Two extruders also work well one to make a puck the other just straight out thick spaghetti different color make a small puck take the spaghetti out the other cut it in strips lay it on the round puck way you go patterns unlimited swirls curls blobs Dalmatian look etc etc etc
Cheers
Chris

Angus McCarthy

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Dang, Kee, that last one is amazing. How many different color pellets do you think were in there? Pearlescent ones, too?

KeeLeh21

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Angus McCarthy wrote:Dang, Kee, that last one is amazing. How many different color pellets do you think were in there? Pearlescent ones, too?
around 4 or 5 I think