Label's production

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

klikli_ska

Label's production

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Trolls!

I don't know if it's the correct topic but i didn't find anything on the search tool. I was wondering how do you produce the labels. Specially the small-pressing plant projects. I supose big enterprises uses a very professional printers wich they can millions of prints per minute, but it's not my case.

So,

- Have you got any semi-professional printer? Any not so much expensive? Or do you think it's local professional printer shop task?
- What about the oven? What specifics has to be?
- Finally, whats specifics has to be the cutting machinery for the paper? Apart of a guillotine, I think that is a center-hole punch and a "perimetral cutter press"????? (i don't know the name... :roll: )

Sorry for my horrible translations...i try to use the exactly term, but it's so difficult for me!

Thanks for advance!

:D

Aussie0zborn

Re: Label's production

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Go to your local printer. Must use offset printing process (NOT digital printing).

Matte art paper, 120gsm, rubber based ink.

Drill the centre hole with a proper paper drill. Use a custom-made round knife in a press to cut the circle.

The pressing plant will dry the labels in an oven before pressing. Always supply 10% extra labels to allow for rejects when pressing.

klikli_ska

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:23 am

Thanks!

Ok about ink/paper and drills/knife press characteristics, but i need the oven information.

I've been working on a printing shop for some years and maybe i have a choice to get one print machine (i don't know if its offset or digital...) for reasonable price. Do you recommend me?

Let's imagine i have my small pressing plant, with my printer too, so, how should the oven be?

Thanks a lot!!

opcode66

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:04 pm

It would be fantastic if you could start making some cheap printed jackets!
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Aussie0zborn

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 am

We used a domestic oven - like the one in your kitchen. We burned some labels in the beginning but then we found the right setting and it worked fine. It cost $30. Get your pressing plant first. You can figure out the label oven later.

You need an offset printing machine - one or two colour. If you are a good printer and its a good machine with perfect registration you can feed the sheets in again and print another two colours to do CMYK printing.

You only need something that does up to A3 sheets.. We had a single colour Rotaprint machine that looked like the one below for printing labels, inserts and stickers, etc. EMI Australia had exactly the same model as ours. It cost $1,500.

As Mossy pointed out in an older post, you can not use digital printing for record labels.