Record Labels

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

I.S.D

Record Labels

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for information about label paper stock, what type of paper are you using?
All local printers I've talked to are stumped, I know there are certain requirements due to the heat and pressure of the press as well as the baking required for drying the ink, but that's where my knowledge stops... A discussion, or information on this topic would be great, and helpful.

Thank you
I.S.D

Aussie0zborn

Re: Centre Labels

Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:36 am

Do records have any other labels apart from the ones in the centre?

untitledthe

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 am

The info is on this forum somewhere, came it across before. Have a look. :wink:

I.S.D

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:26 am

^thank you!

I did find some posts about labels, here's what I found in this forum.

Matte Art Paper 120gsm.
Standard offset ink.
Do not use glossy paper.
Avoid metallic colours

Do not use "rubber based ink" or digital/laser printing
-standard offset press ink, pantone variety-

Thanks trolls!

Here is my printers explanation of offset printing compared to digital (!!!digital printing will not work for centre labels!!!)

"Offset is printed on a press which involves the use of a metal plate and actual printing inks. The inks are wet and bond with the paper. The process is more expensive as it involves the cost of plates (one plate for each colour) as well a number of additional sheets are needed for make-ready (set-up). Digital is colour toner fused to paper. Basically a high-end laser print. As the toner is fused to the surface of the paper and not really absorbed into it, temperature may have an effect on the toner and may cause it to pick or peel."

I have also found a supplier of the infamous blue sided label paper from Europe!
http://www.tullisrussell.com/labelstock/speciality/record-label.html

BrianAtMRP

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 pm

We have received digitally printed samples and had some success with them, but are not currently using them in production runs. GZ Media made them, I'm not sure if anyone else out there is experimenting with it.

FWIW, if you ever absolutely HAVE to have metallic ink for a customer request, Hammlett Printing is who we've always used and I have no complaints about their stuff. You just have to be SUPER vigilant when you're baking them -- the silver darkens and the gold will start to turn bronze if they're in even just an hour too long.

boogievan

Re: Record Labels

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:35 am

Hire QCA to print and circle-cut and hole-punch your labels. They have a lab grade incubator to dry them but they also do remarkable offset printing.

They also make nickel records and preformed stampers, so...

http://go-qca.com/

- Boogie