Any news on the suppossed Sony presing plant?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

JJZL

Any news on the suppossed Sony presing plant?

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:40 pm

It was talked about more than a year ago,

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/29/sony-to-open-vinyl-pressing-factory-in-japan-records

but no news since, and Sony really could assemble a plant not in a year but in months

symatic

Re: Any news on the suppossed Sony presing plant?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:14 am

sweet!

I wonder if there's anyone developing technics-style motors for lathes like this

llary

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 pm

A few people asked me about this since we are in roughly the same part of the world. My answer was that even Sony is going to spend a few years getting a plant online and fully up to speed. They were wanting to use old equipment and it's not a project you can just throw money at. As far as I'm aware no product has come out of this plant yet and I expect the whole project to be quietly shelved or extended at least to 2019. I'm guessing that maybe Sony just wanted to avoid the outrageously high prices charged by Toyo Kasei. But who knows :D

symatic

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:22 am

symatic wrote:sweet!

I wonder if there's anyone developing technics-style motors for lathes like this

did i post this in the wrong thread???? makes no sense hahah.

anyway, would be interesting to see the big companies investing in large-scale operations for sure.... but I'm more impressed with the dedication of people restoring old systems and developing new tech despite the recording industy's abandonment of vinyl.

JJZL

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks a lot for the information. It doesn't make sense using old equipment now that there's available new and reliable machines. Which part of the world you are in?

Aussie0zborn

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:24 pm

llary wrote:... They were wanting to use old equipment and it's not a project you can just throw money at. As far as I'm aware no product has come out of this plant yet ...
They bought brand new presses.
They found that there was nobody to bring out of retirement to show them the entire process of making records.
It does appear that nothing has been pressed yet.

AD1207

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:52 pm

Hello all!
Sony DADC Japan press records on Pheenix Alpha AD12 :D
They are operational.

Regards,
Niklas Poblenz
Pheenix Alpha AB

llary

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:04 am

Thanks for the update, this is very interesting. Glad to see they got some sense and gave up on running classic machines. Looks like they are running a single press?

I wonder if they will ever consider offering galvanic work to 3rd party plants? They must have plenty of capacity at DADC. Asia/Pacific region is in need of a good quality galvanic plant.