7" Record with Push-Out Centre

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

untitledthe

7" Record with Push-Out Centre

Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Hello everybody,

Been a while since i contributed to this forum, been have been reading along. Today i was visiting my brother who decided to build a small 25km reach radio-station with dutch folkore music from Telstar era in 50-60-70 ish.. From what i have read here, this Telstar recordlabel had its own 4 recordpresses that eventually ended up in Greece (if someone can confirm this, please) Anyway bro got a nice wooden cabin with the dj stuff ready now, small bar for people to join.. so i was sitting there and my eye catches this old philips record (see attachtement). And we started wondering, how is this made / pressed? This centerpiece. Or is it die-cut afterwards? Is there any information on this to point me towards? Whats actually the correct name for this centerpiece? And is any recordplant doing it nowadays? Bro told me the singles that actually still got these centerpieces are worth more, as they are more original. I am not familiar with the music and have no idea if this particular record is worth something nowadays. As a employee of philips i do wonder how philips recordplant was like back in the day..

Best regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aussie0zborn

Re: ''How is it made'' / Pressed!

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:05 am

This is not uncommon.
It's called a "push out centre".
It's done by "dinking" the record using a tool and die.
I seem to think Phonopress in Italy do it as can United Record Pressing in USA.

untitledthe

Re: 7" Record with Push-Out Centre

Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:00 am

I havent come it across with new singles but perhaps im holding up in the 'wrong' genre's. :)
Thank you for the correct term and explaining how it is realized.
I think this way of dinking is a very nice service to offer, on the waves of nostalgia.

Aussie0zborn

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:39 am

Yes, I think it’s better than a large centre hole. At least it gives you the choice.

llary

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 pm

We made our own punch press for large hole 7", we have this style of die available to swap out but for some reason we almost never use it. I have to admit I'm somewhat baffled by the choice to punch large holes in 2019 when nobody is playing these records on a jukebox.. but what the public wants the public gets :D