Quality Checking Turntable

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

trendkiller

Quality Checking Turntable

Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:25 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about the turntables in this video? The stopped upon detecting a crackle? Do these still exist?

https://youtu.be/6d4wBCADxZo?t=199

Thanks.

martinstamper

Re: Quality Checking Turntable

Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:46 am

Not sure about those ones but this might be of interest. And I think one came up for sale on German ebay a while ago. "Automatic Tick Registration Machine" by Polygram
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 13.31.55.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trendkiller

Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:46 pm

That does look interesting, thank you. I can't seem to find anything about them though.

Aussie0zborn

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:53 am

This turntable is primarily designed for playing mothers. It plays the record backwards and stops when a "tick" is detected. The operator can then play the record from that point on in the normal direction and examine the tick without searching.

The reason the record is played backwards is that a tick always sounds like a tick whether it's played backwards or forwards. It can't ever be part of the music. If the record played in the normal direction, a snare drum would activate the stop circuit. When played backwards, the snare drum and its reverb tail no longer present a short sharp sound.

I saw a lot of these At EMI New Zealand. They hadn't been used for years because "they don't really work" I was invited to take them with gear I bought but decided against it.

llary

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:05 pm

I'm not sure if you are interested in these as a curiosity or to do actual quality control. Software is a better way to do quality control these days, you can record at high speed and there is commercially available click/pop detection software.

phax

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:19 am

martinstamper wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:46 am
Not sure about those ones but this might be of interest. And I think one came up for sale on German ebay a while ago. "Automatic Tick Registration Machine" by Polygram

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 13.31.55.png
we have it for sale!

have a look here: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7941&p=52064&hilit=atrem#p52064

trendkiller

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Aussie0zborn wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:53 am
This turntable is primarily designed for playing mothers. It plays the record backwards and stops when a "tick" is detected. The operator can then play the record from that point on in the normal direction and examine the tick without searching.

The reason the record is played backwards is that a tick always sounds like a tick whether it's played backwards or forwards. It can't ever be part of the music. If the record played in the normal direction, a snare drum would activate the stop circuit. When played backwards, the snare drum and its reverb tail no longer present a short sharp sound.

I saw a lot of these At EMI New Zealand. They hadn't been used for years because "they don't really work" I was invited to take them with gear I bought but decided against it.
Ah, that makes sense. Good ol' EMI...

trendkiller

Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:18 pm

llary wrote:
I'm not sure if you are interested in these as a curiosity or to do actual quality control. Software is a better way to do quality control these days, you can record at high speed and there is commercially available click/pop detection software.
Thanks. Mostly, I was curious; I hadn't seen these before and thought it was cool. The thought of comparing one to software piqued my interest.

frechdachs

Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:13 am

llary wrote:
Could you tell me about such a software? I'm looking for an automatic digital solution to detect and record pops and clicks.

Also, does anyone know whats the best needle to play mothers?

Thanks!