Record Pressing Engineering Handbook

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

ytsman

Record Pressing Engineering Handbook

Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:08 am

Hello all-

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a record pressing technical handbook? I've been trying to learn more about mold design, thermoplastic resin, causes of warping and guidelines for zone temps etc. but all I can find is information about injection molding. I assume that there was a handbook made at some point in vinyl record manufacturing's heyday but it's so hard to find one now that nobody is writing scholarly articles about record pressing anymore.

Aussie0zborn

Re: Record Pressing Engineering Handbook

Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 pm

Unfortunately, nobody ever wrote such a book. The larger record manufacturers of the day developed a lot of the technology and processes in-house and these were well protected "trade secrets". A PolyGram technical manual states that the document is for limited distribution "lest it falls into the wrong hands". There were many independent suppliers but their technology seems to have been lost once they went out of business.