Warped Pressings

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

handcut

Warped Pressings

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:58 am

Hi All,

Around 70% of the new records I've bought in the last 5 or 6 years have been warped. What's going on?

handcut

Re: Warped Pressings

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:05 am

Really? Nobody has anything to add to this? I'm not the only person who feels this way/has experienced this. Just this morning a regular customer of mine asked "do you know any pressing plants that aren't sending warped-to-as-all-hell records out?"

Aussie0zborn

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:20 am

I've wondered the same thing but I doubt they leave the pressing plant warped and suspect it happens in transit. If you can picture a 40' container full of records shipping form overseas, there is always a desire to fit more records in and stack them higher than is safe. Even worse, there is no guarantee that this container will not sit in the sun for the entire voyage or on a dock if being trans-shipped. It's ofcourse rarely a problem if using air freight. Perhaps the first question is... are these warped records pressed locally or abroad and how are they shipped?

If you're getting records pressed it might be best to use your nearest plant.

Discomo

Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:58 am

Aussie0zborn wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:20 am
I've wondered the same thing but I doubt they leave the pressing plant warped ....
Unfortunately it has nothing to do (at least not always) with transport.
I once picked up an order of 300 LP's at Record Industry Netherlands of which at least half of the order was warped severely.
Maybe it's just the lack of care, they work too fast, too many orders and subsequently they deliver sloppy work.
I've never had problems with other pressers in this respect, although the occasional bad testpressing was a regular thing