Pheenix Alpha Sell 100 Presses!!

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Pheenix Alpha Sell 100 Presses!!

Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:04 pm

Congratulations to Pheenix Alpha! It was announced this week that the company has sold 100 (yes, one hundred) AD12 Automatic Record Presses. Wishing them continued success.

Record sales are up and backlogs at pressing plants are presently around five months. While some industry personnel believe that demand will continue to rise, one wise colleague predicts a downturn once the pandemic fades and consumers go back to spending their leisure money on concerts, nights out, travel and the usual past times. Buying a record from a band's website to support the band while they're not staging concerts could very well transform to spending that same money on buying tickets to their concerts.

We like to think that once the consumer has the "vinyl bug" they will continue buying records but retail prices are way too high while manufacturing costs are way too low!

Retail prices in Australia....

Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" = AUD$60 / USD$44 / €40
Adele "30" 2LP Coloured = AUD$80 / USD$58 / €53
Tool "Fear Inoculum" 5LP with side B of each disc wasted on etchings = AUD$350 / USD$255 / €235

Let's see how the market develops. In the meantime, Pheenix Alpha deserve all the accolades they get for bringing the world's most advanced record press to the market. Their technological genius not only allowed them to improve on an already superior design but to also make a "Picture Disc" version. Picture discs made by a fully automated press? Looking forward to seeing what's next.

https://pheenixalpha.com/

piaptk

Re: Pheenix Alpha Sell 100 Presses!!

Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:14 am

I've been pessimisstic about the longevity of vinyl since I started doing it full time, a decade ago...

I've always just been waiting for the other shoe to fall...

but the last year has been the first year in that whole time that I really believe that it has at least another decade or more of viability. I think the new uptake of "newbie normie" collectors has a long way to go before it fades. I think it is really on the upswing.

Unfortunately, in the meantime, I'm afraid that it is going to run off (for several different reasons) a good amount of the punk/indie/electronic artists/labels that propped up the industry during the lean years, so who knows who will be left when it wanes again.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

trendkiller

Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:12 pm

Well done to them! They deserve it!

There are a lot of kids buying records and that's a good thing!

llary

Tue May 24, 2022 3:22 am

My tail is firmly between my legs because barely 6 or 7 years ago I told someone that designing a new record press was a stupid business idea. A few years later Viryl and Pheenix can't keep up with demand and I designed a press of my own, so what do I know :lol: :lol:

symatic

Tue May 24, 2022 11:46 am

even before the pandemic there was a new pressing plant planning their opening in the north of the UK, and the places I go to regularly are so backed up with orders.... there must be more than just a fad going on. awesome news about the success of these guys!

kdc1870

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:55 am

Bring it on @ llary - the industry needs more of everything!