Viryl Mould Issues

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

poppolice

Viryl Mould Issues

Wed May 18, 2022 10:42 am

Hey all,

Long time listener first time caller. I am experiencing an issue with one of our moulds. There seems to be a pretty nasty blockage deep in the labyrinth that is creating a dead zone causing that specific section not to receive proper heating/cooling. I've tried the typical fixes, compressed air etc. but this sucker is in there. It is a relatively new Viryl mould with only about 50 or so production hours on it so I'm open to trying any fixes possible. Any tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

llary

Re: Viryl Mould Issues

Tue May 24, 2022 3:18 am

How have you confirmed it's definitely a mould blockage?

Unfortunately if it's some issue with the internal brazing all you can do is try to run a pressure washer backwards through the mould, but you are probably SOL unfortunately.

If it's really blocked and you're not sure if it's an internal collapse you might want to make sure there is no contamination in your steam/water supply to prevent future mishaps. Are all your pipes stainless? What kind of treatment are you using on your incoming water supply and boiler?

Rad

Re: Viryl Mould Issues

Wed May 25, 2022 11:52 am

Hello everyone... firs time posting here :-)
...Posting a pic of the inlet and outlet pipes going into the moulds would be nice, just to check if it is getting coated with scale. We had problems in the past with the municipal water supply, the water softener was softening, but only calcium. It turns out there was a crazy amount of sulphates, no ion exchange softener of the common kind can get rid of that. Not even HCl couldd touch that gunk... Just phosphoric acid and a brand spanking new reverse osmosis system did it any good. Just check the color of the coating... I did a small de-scaler with a big bucket, couple hoses, a garden pump, a screen filter, of the plastic fantastic kind, and dilute phosphoric acid ftw. It worked... Just keep it circulating for a couple of hours and maybe it could free the gunk enough so you can connect a pressure washer to it and blast it all out.
If it is a labyrinth collapse, no luck... The only way I know is checking it with x-rays or doing a standing wave ultrasound just to check it out.