who cuts masters here?

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

humongous

who cuts masters here?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:10 pm

I cut the twilite singers "dynamite steps" record.
Jeff Powell
drybonz at aol dot com

piaptk

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm going to cut my first lacquer for mass production tonight. So, I have a couple questions.

If I'm mastering an LP on a 14", can I use the otuside .5" to test to make sure I've got the groove depth and other settings correct? Everything outside that will be lost in the plating process, right?

If not, can I use the back of a lacquer that has been cut? I.e. if I start cutting on one side of the lacquer, and the suction loses the swarf, etc, I can flip it over, right?

You can tell the "good" side of an apollo lacquer because it has the stamp in it, correct?

dietrich10

Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:09 pm

If I'm mastering an LP on a 14", can I use the otuside .5" to test to make sure I've got the groove depth and other settings correct? Everything outside that will be lost in the plating process, right?

yes

If not, can I use the back of a lacquer that has been cut? I.e. if I start cutting on one side of the lacquer, and the suction loses the swarf, etc, I can flip it over, right?
watch for scuffing

You can tell the "good" side of an apollo lacquer because it has the stamp in it, correct?[/quote]
the side without the # stamp is the good side
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

piaptk

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:21 pm

Great! Thanks!

philbrown

Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:49 pm

cymbalism wrote:
With the Costello records, I own the original US presses and the original UK presses so I did compare those which as always it seems the UK versions blew them out of the water. I own the Bungle cd as it never had a vinyl issue until late last year and the record was over a decade old. The MCR I bought on cd when it came out and the vinyl when it also came out which was like 4 months apart.
The US releases were cut from copies, not the original masters.
Phil Brown

philbrown

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:14 pm

dietrich10 wrote:If I'm mastering an LP on a 14", can I use the otuside .5" to test to make sure I've got the groove depth and other settings correct? Everything outside that will be lost in the plating process, right?

yes

watch for scuffing

You can tell the "good" side of an apollo lacquer because it has the stamp in it, correct?
the side without the # stamp is the good side[/quote]

Typically the good side is easy to spot.
Phil Brown

opcode66

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:22 pm

The side with the stamped numbers is the Non-Prefered side. I.E. the side you should not cut....

The side with nothing on it is the side you should cut on a master lacquer. I can dig up and scan some documentation from Transco (I think) that specifies this.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

mossboss

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:18 am

piaptk wrote:I'm going to cut my first lacquer for mass production tonight. So, I have a couple questions.
Great another one on line
piaptk wrote:If I'm mastering an LP on a 14", can I use the otuside .5" to test to make sure I've got the groove depth and other settings correct? Everything outside that will be lost in the plating process, right?
Fine make sure you don't run the had across to the start of the track as you will introduce weakness on the stampers
Lift the head move it to the start
piaptk wrote:If not, can I use the back of a lacquer that has been cut? I.e. if I start cutting on one side of the lacquer, and the suction loses the swarf, etc, I can flip it over, right?
If you set your cutting depth on one side during test you will loose some of it it if you flip it over Not a good idea The answes above should deal with that any way
piaptk wrote:You can tell the "good" side of an apollo lacquer because it has the stamp in it, correct?
answered
Best of luck with it all keep at it
Cneers
Chris