Agnew analog system

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Govinyl

Agnew analog system

Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:11 am

Hi all,

I going in thoughts about buying a lathe from Agnew Analog, not just the head, motor or other. The whole complete system.

I have been in contact with Sillitoe as well ant their machine seems comparable to the Agnew Analog lathe.

The purpose is to cut lacquers. I have been cutting for 5 years with my VR and thinking about expanding my business.

Do anyone have any recommendations or thoughts about this?

Best // Torkild

tragwag

Re: Agnew analog system

Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 pm

both are without a doubt VERY high quality systems.
Just judging by aesthetics
I would relate the Agnew system more closely with the Scully lathes - classic, heavy, hand built and modular.
The Sillitoe I would relate closer to the Neumann lathes - state of the art, new tech, plug and play.

they are obviously both extremely high quality, tested machines, with years if not decades of work put into them.
You can't go wrong with either, I'm just going by personality and focus, having taken in only the public posts/samples of each.

*addition for clarity*
I haven't had the chance to see either of these systems in person, and have only seen/heard what's available here on the forum, or on the socials of each builder.
my comments weren't meant to exclude or downplay any other cutting system or builder, just to translate what I gathered to be the build philosophies of these two builders into terms the cutting community was familiar with. (I realize now that I invoked the mt rushmore of cutting companies, Neumann and Scully :shock: )
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

flozki

Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:31 am

i think its very easy to find out.
this should maybe go to a general buyers guide for cutting equipment.

just send in a few music samples and ask for a cut on the actual particular machine that you are looking to buy.
any serious seller, will cut it and send it for reasonable amount of money.
pay for the sample disk and persist that you receive a real cut not only to get a digital rip.

(we always did that for kingston dubplate cutter before people wanted to buy. one side on the cutter. other side on neumann vms80
and we refunded the price if people bought the machine later)

then go to some state of the art cutting room in your area.
(for easy search, i suggest almost any cutting room in berlin is technically where it can be)
and cut the same.
then go home and listen and think how much you would spend for what you get.
if you dont have the sample cut on your turntable dont buy it.

this should get you a good feeling of what you can get, as it is.
hard to judge sound on fancy renderings, pictures and testimonials of non existing gear.
also think about after buying service. what are the conditions for service, repair, support, upgrade possibilities etc.

in case you dont find what you need. dont rush .you gonna spend a lot of money ,
check the 2nd hand market, check alternatives, talk to people who cut, spend some more money on sample cuts.

happy cutting. f.

misjah

Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:53 pm

^^^^^^ good advice as usual :)

Govinyl

Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:14 pm

Thank you for that both Tragwag and Flozki, this will help me on my path. I'll get back with more questions when they appear.

Best / T