Vestax VRX2000

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Woo40

Vestax VRX2000

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:45 am

Hi, I have been cutting for 6 months now and am getting more sucsseful as time goes by, i have had no training but have kept to the instructions as a rule of thumb..

The problem i still get from my dubs is the top end quality issue, it seems slightly distorted when the bottom end is rich and warm.

i still am alittle blind when it comes to setting my 15 degrees on the styli,
can any one help me to set up this required degrees propbaly, with ease

i have a template of 15 degrees but still cant seem to get it???????

Aussie0zborn

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:59 am

Welcome to the forum. Do you think it might be the Vestax cutterhead?

Woo40

Vestax VRX2000

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 am

it seems ok when appling sound through the head, what baffles me is the styli can only be inserted one way due to the D shape, so how on earth are you supposd to adjust his to a 15 degree angle....sorry i am no professor but i am an engineer????
thx

maniman

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:56 am

Low end ? distorted ? are you saturating some transformer ? Try to apply less input and more output ( if can doit @ the VRX.).
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

Woo40

Vestax VRX-2000

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:45 am

Well thx to the 2 people for cometing, sorry if i offended people by using this vestax m/c (toy) but my passion for mastering is to great tobe offended.

the compression and limiting has seem to of helped my issue.

thx

concretecowboy71

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Do you use an acceleration limiter?

Do you de ess your tracks? A de esser can be used to help tame cymbals also.

Multiband compression?

The high frequency issues of cutting are many. Although the search tool here does not work great you can turn up some discussions on here hopefully.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

opcode66

Re: Vestax VRX2000

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Woo40 wrote:what baffles me is the styli can only be inserted one way due to the D shape, so how on earth are you supposd to adjust his to a 15 degree angle....sorry i am no professor but i am an engineer????
thx
Think of the 15 degree angle as a tilting of the entire head vertically with respect to the disc. So, instead of the cutting stylus being at 90/90 with respect to the disc (level in both the horizontal and vertical), the head would be at a 15 degree angle.

The Stylus itself it mounted in the cutterhead so it has a particular orientation. The styls when looked at under a microscope has a flat side (mirror surface) that has to be pointing in the oppositel direction of the turning of the turntable. The flat side is what forces the cut material up and out of the newly formed groove. The D shape to the stylus shank insures that you do not insert the stylus the wrong way.

Once the stylus is properly inserted in the head and the head is on the machine then you must adjust the carriage for the head so it is applied to the disc at a 15 degree angle.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio