Vinyl dubplate Durability??

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

sifis1983

Vinyl dubplate Durability??

Sun May 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi There!

I just want to make a simple question about the durability of vinyl dubplates.

Wikipedia says: Vinyl dubplates are a recently developed format which allow extremely durable recordings to be made (lasting 90% as long as pressed vinyl).

So, what's the factor that defines the durability of vinyl dubplates? Why is 90% and not 100% ??

I hope that the guys here who use Souri's machine or vinilium or any DIY machine, has a lot of experience with vinyl dubplates... ;-)

Thanks a lot!

audadvnc

Sun May 20, 2012 5:52 pm

If I'm not mistaken, a vinyl dubplate is embossed not cut?

opcode66

Sun May 20, 2012 7:24 pm

First, no one I know cuts "vinyl" blanks. We cut with Polycarbonate plastic blanks. The differenc being the chemical compound.

Second, I happily cut plastic blanks with a diamond stylus. I do not emboss. Those who don't have a lathe that can provide enough pressue to cut emboss. Or, those who don't have a diamond to cut with emboss.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

sifis1983

Mon May 21, 2012 1:55 am

Thanks for the replies..

Well, I thought that people that use Souri's vinylrecorder, cut in vinyl..
You can see clearly here, that the material is PVC :
http://www.vinylrecorder.com/blanc.html

Vinylium says : "we are able to cut into vinyllike material".. which is maybe the polycarbonate material, that opcode says....

And Yes! I know that many people with DIY machines, use polycarbonate discs to cut with a diamond stylus..

Anyway, my first question was about the durability..
Let's say I don't care about the material... Is there anyone here that has a long period exprerience with these discs? (either polycarbonate or PVC)
so to tell me more about the durability... Is there any comparison with pressed records?

Thanks again..

dubcutter89

Mon May 21, 2012 12:35 pm

I cannot answer your question with numbers or anything, but I know dubplates that were cut with the VR and they are really durable.

But I guess durability is not only depending on material but also how it is cut.
A record with very wide groove spacing and deep cut will last longer than one with narrow little grooves... noise is more depending on your playback than material I guess...

Anyway, don't be afraid that dubs wear out to fast (even acetate can last quite long)

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

opcode66

Mon May 21, 2012 1:13 pm

If I try to cue up a record for dj'ing and it's cut on a lacquer the first beat gets to sounding like pure static after just a few times playing it out. I have yet to hear that in a plastic cut. I have plastic cuts that I've used for dj'ing for over a year. No noticeable degradation of the sound. I know others who scratch with plastic cuts. So, the lifespan of PVC is roughly the same as PC.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

mratx

Mon May 21, 2012 3:27 pm

A vaguely related question: Being that older lacquers are often hardened to the degree that they no longer any good for cutting, is there some method to cut a fresh lacquer, than somehow accelerate that drying out process so that the lacquer is harder than normal? Not sure if that would make any difference as far as wear is concerned, but it crossed my mind when reading this thread.

Mark

opcode66

Mon May 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Wouldn't that also make it brittle and more thus more easily damaged?

mratx

Mon May 21, 2012 3:53 pm

The old lacquers that I've come across in my limited experience which are too hard to cut well don't seem overly brittle, at least not like a shellac 78 is. But I never tried to break one, so I can't say. I may try it when I get home if I can locate one!

Techie

Mon May 21, 2012 5:29 pm

The article in the following link refers to a solution that was to be applied to a disc after it was cut in order to lubricate and harden the record. I've never heard of this before. Does anyone know what it was and how effective it was?

http://www.shellac.org/nri/nri07.html