Suitcase record cutter repair

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Xertz

Suitcase record cutter repair

Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 am

Hi.
So with 2 days left on my campaign, there is a very very slim chance that I will be able gain $8,000+ dollars for my campaign, and I promised refunds if I get less than $6,000 dollars. But, what if someone still wants to support me, even if I cant get the lathe of my dreams? Then, I could give them an option to help fund my radio station and/or buy a suitcase lathe. The problem with that is many of those suitcase lathes are in need of repair due to the fragile electronics inside of them. I keep seeing these suitcase cutters on eBay for ridiculously cheap prices. So, if I were to buy one, could I repair it, and for how much?
- Otto

BTW- I know that these suitcase lathes are mono and are mostly lofi. It would just be nice to have a machine I could learn the trade on and cut my personal music/my labels music on.

markrob

Re: Suitcase record cutter repair

Sat May 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi,

A couple of suggestions.

1. Find a local cutter and make friends with him/her. I'm sure given your dedication and desire to learn, somebody will take you under their wing and help you learn the trade. Be willing to sweep the floors and get food in the beginning. Be a fly on the wall and soak up all you can.
2. Pick up a cheapy Recordio or other consumer 1940's machine and dig in. You will certainly be able to get it up and running and in the process develop some skills that you never expected to learn (e.g. electronics, mechanics, fabrication).
3. Save up a bit more and pick up a K8 or similar unit. They are not toys and not cheap, but they should be much less that the VR and they will take you far in your learning. Depending on the condition, you may need to develop some of the skills I mentioned above.
4. Dive in full DIY and get started. A speaker and sewing needle and some and some creativity will get you cutting/ embossing sound on a platter. There is so much info here and on the internet to get you going.
5. Attend Mike's Lathe Camp. Probably a great idea no matter what path you take.

Don't give up. If you really want to get into this, it will happen.

Mark

piaptk

Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 am

I agree with all of Mark's suggestions except the Recordio or suitcase cutter. Those are garbage and the fact that Gub Epling burned a dozen or more in a trash fire seems to me to be a fitting end. But I also wasted over a year of my life with one of those things and never got even a halfass cut out of it.

And one of those would be a totally different planet than the VR. Nobody (including you) would be happy with the cuts you get on it. They were probably ok for cutting dubs of Glen miller off the radio in 1932, when just recording and playback were novel enough to not worry about fidelity, but in 2018, it's not gonna make for happy listening. The head won't be powerful enough to do anything but cut picnic plates or lacquers, and you sure don't want to burn up $14 lacquer dubs on it.

Save up and get a k8 or something that can take a decent cutting head. They don't have many bells or whistles, but they CAN cut a good sounding disc if the head is in good shape.

I would recommend buying a lathe from someone getting out of the hobby (or upgrading) that can guarantee (and show you) that it works. As-is machines on eBay are real serious crapshoot for someone that isn't pretty familiar with how the things work.

I'll give you a free spot at the next lathe cut camp (not scheduled yet) if one of your parents want to bring you out to Tucson. It will be three days worth of a serious head start.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

concretecowboy71

Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 am

We get great results with a suitcase Rek-o-Kut overhead lathe and a Grampian head.

This was recorded live with two microphones directly to the lathe:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gv50fhdfev4ywgh/05%20Little%20Red%20Wagon%20Take%202%20Lacquer.wav?dl=0

Get what you can afford but buy the BEST you can afford.

Cultivate contacts that have info you do not.

Write some kind of business plan.

Spend a shitload of time honing your craft.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

Xertz

Wed May 23, 2018 2:23 pm

The cheapest I have seen a Presto K-8 go for is $800, and, being 13, I am not willing/prepared to spend the cost of a used car on a record cutter. I have already bought a Recordio on eBay for $90, and I plan to repair it using the money from some wonderful people who decided to let me keep the money, instead of me refunding their contributions.

Xertz

Wed May 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Piaptk - That is so nice! Seriously, thank you! I would love to go, but it might run into a family vacation. Maybe if you give me a specific date, I could ask if I am allowed to come.

Gridlock

Wed May 23, 2018 2:34 pm

K8 is THE beginner machine. It's awesome too. And cool. You get tons of chicks with it. Spend 100x as much on a scully and you will get less chicks than with a k8
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

piaptk

Wed May 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Gridlock is right. You WILL get more chicks with a k8 than a Scully.

$800 is dirtcheap to get a foot in the door of this hobby. It's not a cheap one. You wouldn't even be able to buy a broken Grampian like Clint talks about for that.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Xertz

Fri May 25, 2018 11:13 am

Alright, so I might get a K8 lathe in the future, but for now it is just out of my reach, and a Recordio is the next best thing.

soeffingodly

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:39 pm

Xertz wrote:Alright, so I might get a K8 lathe in the future, but for now it is just out of my reach, and a Recordio is the next best thing.
I've been rocking a K-8 with a 1-C head and it has worked surprisingly well aside from much user error and some general maintenance that is needed for the lathe itself. [Still don't have it fully dialed in yet but I am getting there...] I am currently exploring the market to upgrade to another lathe. If/when I decide to get rid of my Presto I can check with you first if you'd like. Keep plugging away!

-S
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Xertz

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Thank you!