Recordio repair

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Xertz

Recordio repair

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi. Sorry I have not been active on this forum for quite a while. A few months ago I was looking at my Recordio and I noticed that the cutting head had a prong that looked like it had a wire attached to it when it was made back in the 50's but is missing today (see photos attached). I cannot find if a wire is supposed to be there or not, as my service manual does not mention the cutting head or give clues to the placement of certain wires. In fact, the service manual does not completely match my Recordio, coincidentally in the exact spot I have been looking at almost since I got it (I circled the differences in the photos). If anyone has a Recordio (especially the 1C10) and can give me a clue to what to do about this dilemma that would be much appreciated. Here is a link to the photos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mV9C0QOguXk7NfhlnQ3ssflxsh2CncYK.

markrob

Re: Recordio repair

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:34 pm

Hi,

From the picture of the head, I can see that one of the two push on terminals is not installed. So, get a small needle nose pliers and push it on to the terminal. Just like the one shown on the left. Did you have the head re-built? If not, ti probably dead since most of the crystal heads do not survive after this long.

Does the shielded cable from the head make it to the Recordio chassis? If not, from the other picture, you may need to reattach it to the connector that plugs into the chassis.

Mark

Xertz

Re: Recordio repair

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi Mark. I just noticed that, turns out you got here before me. Thanks anyways though. No, I haven't gotten the head rebuilt yet. After I replace some faulty vacuum tubes I will test it and see if it works. If it doesn't then I can be pretty sure the head is the culprit.