HTS code for Lathes?

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tourtilldeath

HTS code for Lathes?

Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:16 pm

Hi all, not sure if this is the most appropriate place to post this question but figured worth a shot. I'm looking into the possibility of shipping a lathe from EU --> USA and am trying to see what my potential Import Duty liability would be. I'm familiar with importing in general but the problem I'm having is nailing down the proper Harmonized Tariff Schedule code, does anyone have experience with this?? Everything that's "easy" to find in HTS has to do with optical disc manufacturing or radio transmission, only things having to do with wax is either records themselves, sleeves or turntables. Any help appreciated!

Aussie0zborn

Re: HTS code for Lathes?

Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:01 am

I've used three different HS codes when shipping lathes to Europe.

Are you talking about a lathe or a desktop disc cutter?

dmills

Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:24 am

Always a fun one this, going on the rather useful UK site (I think the codes are internationally standardised, but check the US likes to be a pain for import/export).

If I was shipping a DMM machine with computer I might be tempted by 8458918000 Lathes (For the removal of metal), other lathes, numerically controlled....
More reasonably 8519890000 (Sound recording and reproducing apparatus->other (Not tape or solid state)->Other would seems to fit, the game being to find whatever code gives the lowest import duty!

tourtilldeath

Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:09 pm

Aussie0zborn wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:01 am
I've used three different HS codes when shipping lathes to Europe.

Are you talking about a lathe or a desktop disc cutter?
A lathe, looking to get a Scully shipped. Which ones did you use? I consulted a couple of customs brokers and we've landed on using 8579.89.8300 - Machines for the manufacturing of optical media. Definitely not really accurate but they were confident it would be considered appropriate and is tariff free so that's great. One of them even dug up this article on his own, did his homework! http://pspatialaudio.com/lathes.htm