Tokyo Dawn Labs "SimuLathe"

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Fabien TDR

Tokyo Dawn Labs "SimuLathe"

Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:38 pm

Hi Trolls,

some of you possibly already took note of our "SimuLathe" product range.

This is a technology capable of simulating the disk mastering process A to Z, at a precision adequate for professional purposes. Including audio preview via virtual pickup models. Also comes with a range of powerful filters and unique geometrically aware limiters.

SimuLathe CUT is targeted at lathe operators.
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-simulathe-cut/

SimuLathe REF targets the poor souls who don't have access to a lathe, but seek competent insight.
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-simulathe-ref/

Here's the full list of contributors, it probably helps make clear this is a rather serious project:
https://docs.tokyodawn.net/simulathe-cut-manual/#Copyright_and_Acknowledgements
^^ If you're interested into details, scroll up into the manual

I welcome you to try out the demo editions, their only limitation is their inability to recall settings automatically or automate.
This is a development in process, slowly exploring the professional potential for simulators in the context of disk mastering. So please don't hesitate to let me know your ideas/concerns! :)

OptVox

Re: Tokyo Dawn Labs "SimuLathe"

Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:03 am

Hi Fabien,
Can your software be loaded in Warcraft, so I can build a scenario with another one or two players where we fight on the virtual record surface , using the grooves as trenches?

I might buy a virtual-reality set for that. What do you say?

If not, can you let me know why it isn't?

Fabien TDR

Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:59 am

Lol. We seriously considered adding stereoscopic modes to the microscope, because the flatness of the disk doesn't provide too many visual clues for distance. Without animation, the visual depth is prone to the "hollow face" effect, where depth information spontaneously flips from concave to convex (obvious in real microscopy as well). Stereoscopy would probably solve it. We'll maybe add options for magenta/cyan googles and true VR setups at some point.

Warcraft compatibility, likely not ;)

This 3D visualization is primarily about PR, making sure the press has nice images to show. :) It also helps laymen to intuitively understand the simulation depth.
SL detects geometry maxima/minima by itself (including velocity), though, you don't really need the microscope. The pudding is in the lathe, pitch and pickup modelling.

helmut erler

Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:53 am

from a cutting engineer's view I would say:

This 3D visualization is primarily about really getting a feeling for what we do...

mrd

Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:03 am

Fabien TDR wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:38 pm
Hi Trolls,

some of you possibly already took note of our "SimuLathe" product range.

This is a technology capable of simulating the disk mastering process A to Z, at a precision adequate for professional purposes. Including audio preview via virtual pickup models. Also comes with a range of powerful filters and unique geometrically aware limiters.

SimuLathe CUT is targeted at lathe operators.
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-simulathe-cut/

SimuLathe REF targets the poor souls who don't have access to a lathe, but seek competent insight.
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-simulathe-ref/

Here's the full list of contributors, it probably helps make clear this is a rather serious project:
https://docs.tokyodawn.net/simulathe-cut-manual/#Copyright_and_Acknowledgements
^^ If you're interested into details, scroll up into the manual

I welcome you to try out the demo editions, their only limitation is their inability to recall settings automatically or automate.
This is a development in process, slowly exploring the professional potential for simulators in the context of disk mastering. So please don't hesitate to let me know your ideas/concerns! :)
This is amazing, thanks!

For another application, I'd be super interested if there was a way to visualise the grooves real(ish) time

Fabien TDR

Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:07 pm

You can watch the groove in realtime, but it's either too slow or too fast for the eye (no way to cover/visualize the full audible range 20-20k). In this regard, not much difference to a real world groove microscope.

For realtime groove:

1. SL can visualize up to 18 sec of groove (at 4x audible rate. That's about 12 mio triangles or 1GB of memory!).
2. Inside the inspection view, activate "READ" sync (this syncs the groove to current playback, given it covers the recorded groove).
3. Now move the playhead back by about 18 sec and press play -> the groove is now synced to playback.

For a nicer groove trench run:

1. Record a groove
2. Turn off "READ" and "WRITE"
3. Hold SHIFT and navigate somewhere, SL then enters a flight mode, showing a small speed slider with a little plane icon. This is great for visual demonstrations.

Alternatively, you can also use the DISC STATS instead. This one draws a coarse data model, one that covers the full disc side and also shows (typical) lead-in and lead-out grooves. Here you can:

1. Learn the audio input somehow (either via playback or a quick blind render)
2. Go to DISC STATS
3. Activate "READ" sync, press play, and click through Excursion, Width, Velocity and Land heatmaps.

mrd

Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:17 pm

Fabien TDR wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:07 pm
You can watch the groove in realtime....
This all works really well as you describe and it's great!.. but in all cases needs audio to be run first, then generated in retrospect. I have a specific need for generation on the fly - I'd be really happy with 18 seconds as a buffer of what's generated as an ongoing visualisation. but my needs are super specific soo I'm not sure anyone else would need this! ha ha

Fabien TDR

Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:20 pm

One issue with this is that the past is behind the stylus/pickup, you can't really see the history (at least not until it appears in the previous groove). Strictly speaking, the future is "blank". ;) At least from the point of view of the cutting stylus.

I thought about a realtime groove view before, thinking it would have to be a "rear view" mode of some sort, showing what happened over the last moments. Or a "microscope left of disk center" mode.

BTW we'll also add additional helicopter style "fly around" option later on, permitting to do side views or rear views.
We also think about showing the stylus or pickup as it moves through the groove, possibly even visualize the tracking difference between stylus and pickup (it becomes quite large in high velocity regions near disc center). Or a heatmap mode showing this difference between stylus and different pickup shapes.

mrd

Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:07 pm

Fabien TDR wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:20 pm
One issue with this is that the past is behind the stylus/pickup, you can't really see the history (at least not until it appears in the previous groove). Strictly speaking, the future is "blank". ;) At least from the point of view of the cutting stylus.

I thought about a realtime groove view before, thinking it would have to be a "rear view" mode of some sort, showing what happened over the last moments. Or a "microscope left of disk center" mode.
Oh yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for! (using a live audio input)

Fabien TDR

Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:18 am

We launched a small series of articles showing how various test signals translate to geometry, click the image for more.

Bonati

Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:06 pm

Absolutely amazing plugin here - something I've been waiting for forever. Speeds up my workflow + better sounding records. Been using it since the start of this year. I can start prepping cuts on my laptop while away from the lathe and come into the studio ready to go with some virtual "test cuts" already done.

These are the kinds of helpful tools we should have in 2023 to cut lacquers. Big up to Tokyo Dawn Labs.

Fabien TDR

Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:21 pm

We've updated SimuLathe CUT and REF to version 1.1.0

This is an extensive update driven by many user requests and bug reports:

Inspection views in both CUT and REF editions now feature histograms for improved statistical analysis. Heatmap thresholds now allow being adjusted, also on the fly. The microscope view got widened a bit and the reticle ruler improved (use Alt + mouse-drag to shift it left/right).
We further fixed several bugs, including a distortion issue with the MidFi pickup model and severe freezes in the latest Cubase and Nuendo versions.

The CUT edition now offers a "Processor/Simulator" switch, permitting to run SimuLathe in a pure processor mode (according to the lathe settings previously set in Simulator mode). This mode is more efficient and thus a bit safer in operation, specifically meant to drive cuts directly.

In Reaper (only), the CUT edition now outputs a total of 6 channels. Channels 3/4 contain the "Modulation" signal, 5/6 the "Preview" signal. Channels 1/2 are sourced by the "Monitor" settings, but channels 3/4 and 5/6 generally don’t have any pickup or feedback model processing going on: Only the lathe input signal (post processors), including gain/width. These extra outputs are meant to help and inspire experimentation.

(Owners find updated installers under their library: https://store.tokyodawn.net )

SimuLathe CUT 1.1.0 Feature update

# Histograms added to disc stats page, statistical analysis improved
# Disc stats heatmap thresholds are now adjustable by the operator
# Added a "processor exclusive" mode (ideal when SL is used as a pure preprocessor)
# Renamed autogain button "equal gain" and moved to monitor section
# Reticle ruler can now be temporarily moved left to right, using Alt + Click
# Small changes to toolbar layout
# Fixed disk surface flickering at high zoom factors near disk center
# Fixed mid-fi pickup model
# Fixed a freeze when setting start or end points in Cubase 12 and Nuendo

SimuLathe REF 1.1.0 Feature update

# Histograms added to disc stats page, statistical analysis improved
# Disc stats heatmap thresholds are now adjustable by the operator
# Reticle ruler can now be temporarily moved left to right, using Alt + Click
# Small changes to toolbar layout
# Fixed disk surface flickering at high zoom factors near disk center