Lathes in Jamaica

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Dub Studio

Lathes in Jamaica

Tue May 30, 2023 6:47 am

Does anyone have any info on what lathes were used in the Jamaican music industry, when and by whom. I am particularly interested in the heyday of dub, but info on any period would be great. My research so far is a bit scrappy...

I read for example that King Tubby used a lathe that he possibly acquired from Treasure Isle studio. I managed to find a photo of Treasure Isle studio from 1975 with what looks like a Scully in the background: https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2013/02/duke-reid-sir-coxsone-dodd-beef-patty but was this the one he bought? The date means it doesn't seem likely.

There is also some footage of a lathe in operation, possibly at Black Scorpio studio, in this 1994 music video (fast forward to 1:02 if you are not a Mega Banton fan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPfC0CyKCOM

misjah

Re: Lathes in Jamaica

Tue May 30, 2023 7:31 am

if i recall correct i've seen pics of a very trashed vms70 many years ago

piaptk

Tue May 30, 2023 11:28 am

Arrows Recording Studio had a Presto 8DGV.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Aussie0zborn

Wed May 31, 2023 4:55 am

Arrows Recording Studio did indeed have a Presto 8DGV as well as a Scully fitted with Vinylium's very first Pitch system. It's all gone now.

A number for VMS70s came out of Jamaica as well as a Presto from the other side of the island. I would say the only VMS70 left there is the one at Tuff Gong which was in pieces when I saw it many years ago.

dietrich10

Wed May 31, 2023 8:58 am

There were a few Neumann in Jamaica in the 70s-80-90s etc
Studio One had a VMS66..maybe a 2nd?
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

flozki

Wed May 31, 2023 11:00 am

when i was there around 1998 there where at least:

arrows
:
1 scully (upgraded with the first pitch98 prototype)
3x presto 6n with grampian head for direct dubplates. with homemade preamps
dynamic sounds:
vms70 in bad shape but workable
tuff gong:
non working vms70

havent seen more studios at the time as my visit was top secret , but next day the whole island knew about the strange guy fixing a lathe at arrows.hehe

later there was this famous picture of a totally broken am32b or 131 under tons of tapes and trash.

Dub Studio

Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:17 am

Thanks guys, that's great info. So much has been written about almost every other aspect of Jamaica's incredible contribution to music, so it seems weird that there is so little info about this side of things. I mean, Jamaica is the only country I can think of whose capital city even has a lathe named after it, yet you look for info about what lathes they actually used, and there is virtually no info at all.

I mean, look at King Tubby for example. People wax lyrical (and rightly so) about his incredible contribution not only to music but also to music production techniques on the island that later swept the world. I have a book on Dub music my Michael E Veal, and I can only find scant mention of "dub machines" when describing Tubby's set up. This is literally what he did for a living!

This Guardian article shows a famous photo of the man himself, sitting in front of a "disc cutting lathe": https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2004/jul/16/1 and I am thinking, hang on, is that a lathe? If so, what make is it? Why does no one seem to care about this?

I know lathes probably aren't what most people are interested in, but considering Tubby would have been mixing straight onto disk a lot of the time, surely it merits some attention. I mean, people obsess over the minutiae of almost every other aspect of his work, it seems strange to me this is missing.

boogievan

Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:59 pm

He's sat there fixing or cannibalizing overheads, innit?

I found a photo online of Mr. Ruddock making the hand-sign of Practicus - hopefully mocking Ras Tafari for doing that, but, since O. R. was
reportedly murdered, it's likely that he, too, was 'controlled' by our hidden masters. That's why we have a music industry - to capture the mind's eye of the masses - and They capture us, mentally, by the numbers of Calendarium... (How Calendare They!)

flozki

Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:08 pm

i think he is in front of a coil winder.
but looks great.

Dub Bull

Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:14 pm

Channel One had a Neumann which someone is checking out, here:

Counting the number of the coil windings, I see the date-numerology of King Tubby's murder was: (2 × 6 × 1 × 9 × 8 × 9 =) 7776.
So, pretty ominous, right there, because 'seven hundred and seventy-seven' sums to 666 (Franc Baconis).

Now check his name:

"Osbourne" = 37 (Full Reduction)
"Osbourne" = 37 (Chaldean)
"O. Ruddock" = 37 (Full Reduction)
"Kingston" = 37 (Full Reduction)
February 6 is the 37th day of the qatholiq year.

""Osbourne" = 62 (Reverse Full Reduction EP) and he was murdered on the date which can be written, 6.2...
"King Tubby" = 26 (Chaldean) and he was murdered on the date which can be written, 2.6, in America and Belize

There were 328 days remaining in 1989 when he was shot.
"dubwise" = 328 (Satanic)

There were 11 months and 22 days until his next birthday.
11 is the 'master number'; 22 is the 'master-builder number'...
JFK was murdered on 11/22, as it's written in Dallas, TX.
'Society of Jesus' = 1122

There were 356 days until Osbourne Ruddock's birthday when he was shot.
"Societatis Iesu" = 356 (Fibonacci)

They even gave him his business name...
"King Tubby" = 666 (English Sumerian)
'Compañía de Jesús" = 666 (English Sumerian)
"Societatis Jesv" = 666 (Satanic)

This is left-hand path goy-qabalah, as practiced by the adept masters of the entertainment industry.
If you put on your qabalah goggles, you can't un-see this: qatholiqai.com.

- Father José †

boogievan

Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:09 pm

flozki wrote:
but looks great.
That must be what he's doing - merci, Flozki.

Btw, i noticed in the Vinyl Factory's Cutting Edge article from 4 years ago that you mentioned Neumann's last lathe being sold in 1989 - the year of Tubby's unsolved murder.

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/cutter-head-repair-flo-kaufmann/

In the article, you mention helping Herr Richter with winding cutting head coils. So, is Tubby winding a drive or feedback coil, perhaps, with that jig? I've never seen one quite like it, but it does look more like a coil-winder than a lathe overhead. I don't think he was sewing. 0;

Dub Bull

Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:31 pm

Speaking of those 37s..."Dub Master" = 37 (Septenary)

(Permission to manifest these secrets granted by the qatholiq date-numbers of 2-day being those of Osbourne)
Today's date can be written, 4.6
"Osbourne" = 46 (Single Reduction)
"O. Ruddock" = 46 (Full Reduction KV)
"Dub Master" = 46 (Keypad)
The Dub Master (on CD) has 4.6 stars on Amazon, right now...
https://www.amazon.com/Dub-Master-King-Tubby/dp/B004N6W1PO

Plus, "Osbourne" = 1223 (Reverse Extended)
(1223, to the adept, means 1Ø blossoms; 22 branches; and 3 trunks, which are the attributes of the Tree of Life that beams negative entropy
of 1Ø different types throughout Creation, according to right-hand path, G-d-centric, Kabbalah (with a 'K', and 2 'b's, instead of 1), B'ruch haShem.

As for the article with Flo that was 4+ months ago, it was exactly 181Ø days ago that it was posted online.
"the Tree of Life" = 181Ø (Squares)

As for today being 4.6, which, in the States, and in Belize, can be written, 6.4,
"the Tree of Life" = 64 (Reverse Full Reduction)

r. José

Dub Studio

Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:07 pm

boogievan wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:59 pm
He's sat there fixing or cannibalizing overheads, innit?

I found a photo online of Mr. Ruddock making the hand-sign of Practicus - hopefully mocking Ras Tafari for doing that, but, since O. R. was
reportedly murdered, it's likely that he, too, was 'controlled' by our hidden masters. That's why we have a music industry - to capture the mind's eye of the masses - and They capture us, mentally, by the numbers of Calendarium... (How Calendare They!)

Don't you just hate it when you start a thread about a conspiracy theory, and someone comes along and kills it with some cold hard facts like this.

Dub Studio

Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:10 pm

flozki wrote:
but looks great.
He used to make his own transformers apparently, so perhaps that's it?

dietrich10

Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:52 am

flozki wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:00 am
when i was there around 1998 there where at least:

dynamic sounds:
vms70 in bad shape but workable
they had a 2nd VMS70 in a different room sort of hidden from the main room. I believe one of the VMS is still there with some pressing gear
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

boogievan

Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:44 am

Dub Studio wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:07 pm
Don't you just hate it when you start a thread about a conspiracy theory, and someone comes along and kills it with some cold hard facts like this.
Dear Double-plus UnCool,
So, what are your 'cold, hard facts' about the unsolved murder, on the 37th day of 1989 A. D., of the man whose Christian name ('Osbourne') sums to 37 (in two English alphabetic ciphers) and whose military name ('O. Ruddock') sums to 37 (like his album title (and job description), 'Dub Master', does, as well) and whose stage name sums to 666?

{As the Bible, itself, discloses, those with 'understanding' count the number of the Tweets of the Beast system, for in sharing their evil plans by means of such Easter eggs, their karma is unburdened, even if they aren't understood by their readership. We aren't allowed to live unless we love the truth, Fam.}

r. Boogie

Dub Bull

Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:00 pm

When I first heard of King Tubby, I assumed he was fat. After looking at his pictures, I realized he's too slim to have been called Tubby, as a nickname, and yet he wasn't so svelte that it made sense as a form of sarcasm, either. I'm sure it was foisted on him by people who don't even like dub.
'Tubby' is an insult to any mix or mastering engineer. But he had to wear that name as a form of mockery by the qabal who paid for his career (and didn't suppress his work, which they totally do when a person can't be controlled - ask me how I know); ...

The Manley Labs manual for the Massive Passive has a section on EQ which lists adjectives one might come up with when evaluating a signal to be equalized. Right near the top of the list is the audio crime called, 'Tubby'...

Here's a direct quote from page 25 (titled, 'Translations"):

"Tubby. probably too much lows. Try removing somewhere between 82 to 220 [cps]."

Remember, this is a thermionic valve equalizer, so, the all-TUBE- eq manufacturer is explaining how to fix a recording that's flawed because it sounds 'tubby'. Don't tell me 'Tubby' was selected for all the tube gear he used - WHO DIDN'T use tubes when Mr. Ruddock was starting out? - or that his mum admired Harriet Tubman - again, WHO DIDN"T love that probably-scripted narrative? ("Tubman" = 37 (Reverse Full Reduction)!). While both may be true, they would not likely have lead to Osbourne choosing the name, 'King Tubby'. Someone else made him use it, and, the price was obviously right, in the short term. Did he not notice that his financiers were evil and would charge the ultimate price, eventually? Maybe he thought they'd wait until he was 94. Such a sick planet, Trolls. (If you need a refresher, listen to 'Murder By Numbers', by the Police, and also, 'Gematria, the Killing Name', by Slipknot...)

Here are some other many uses of the term, 'tubby', as a musical pejorative:

How to EQ Guitars in Your Mix

iZotope
https://www.izotope.com › learn › how-to-eq-guitars-i...
Feb 2, 2022 — Check out this article I recently wrote on mixing low end for some useful content that ... Too much will sound tubby and reduce clarity.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3 Common Low End Mixing Mistakes

Music Mix Pro
https://musicmixpro.co.uk › Mixing
Nov 21, 2019 — Here are some mixing mistakes to avoid for a tight low end mix. ... complimenting each other and sound big and full but not tubby.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bass strings have gone tubby and dull | Pianotech

Piano Technicians Guild
https://my.ptg.org › discussion › bass-strings-have-go...
Aug 11, 2022 — Hi,. All the bass strings of a small, 2 year-old Yangtze River V-48 grand have gone tubby and flat from the tenor break down.

BBC what I mean?

- r. José

Dub Studio

Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:58 am

boogievan wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:44 am

Dear Double-plus UnCool,
So, what are your 'cold, hard facts' about the unsolved murder
Well, one cold hard fact is that Jamaica is a country where poverty and inequality are rife, and the murder rate is one of the highest in the world. That’s 50 out of every 100,000 people, and 10 times higher than the USA. Kudos to anyone that can work under those conditions.

I don’t know why King Tubby was murdered, it was probably nothing more than a robbery gone wrong, but I do know that it was a tragedy that such an amazingly talented member of our tiny community of cutting engineers lost his life in such a needless way, and we are all lucky we can go about our business in relative safety.

Sorry if you don’t think I am cool, but I don’t think it’s cool to make fun of people’s religious beliefs, or trivialise the murder of people in our profession. If you want to talk about this, maybe start a new thread because you are way off topic, and frankly you seem to be making light of a serious issue that some people do care about. Thanks.

Dub Studio

Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:18 pm

Dub Bull wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:00 pm
When I first heard of King Tubby, I assumed he was fat. After looking at his pictures, I realized he's too slim to have been called Tubby, as a nickname, and yet he wasn't so svelte that it made sense as a form of sarcasm, either. I'm sure it was foisted on him by people who don't even like dub.
'Tubby' is an insult to any mix or mastering engineer. But he had to wear that name as a form of mockery by the qabal who paid for his career (and didn't suppress his work, which they totally do when a person can't be controlled - ask me how I know); ...

The Manley Labs manual for the Massive Passive has a section on EQ which lists adjectives one might come up with when evaluating a signal to be equalized. Right near the top of the list is the audio crime called, 'Tubby'...

Here's a direct quote from page 25 (titled, 'Translations"):

"Tubby. probably too much lows. Try removing somewhere between 82 to 220 [cps]."

Remember, this is a thermionic valve equalizer, so, the all-TUBE- eq manufacturer is explaining how to fix a recording that's flawed because it sounds 'tubby'. Don't tell me 'Tubby' was selected for all the tube gear he used - WHO DIDN'T use tubes when Mr. Ruddock was starting out? - or that his mum admired Harriet Tubman - again, WHO DIDN"T love that probably-scripted narrative? ("Tubman" = 37 (Reverse Full Reduction)!). While both may be true, they would not likely have lead to Osbourne choosing the name, 'King Tubby'. Someone else made him use it, and, the price was obviously right, in the short term. Did he not notice that his financiers were evil and would charge the ultimate price, eventually? Maybe he thought they'd wait until he was 94. Such a sick planet, Trolls. (If you need a refresher, listen to 'Murder By Numbers', by the Police, and also, 'Gematria, the Killing Name', by Slipknot...)

Here are some other many uses of the term, 'tubby', as a musical pejorative:

How to EQ Guitars in Your Mix

iZotope
https://www.izotope.com › learn › how-to-eq-guitars-i...
Feb 2, 2022 — Check out this article I recently wrote on mixing low end for some useful content that ... Too much will sound tubby and reduce clarity.

3 Common Low End Mixing Mistakes

Music Mix Pro
https://musicmixpro.co.uk › Mixing
Nov 21, 2019 — Here are some mixing mistakes to avoid for a tight low end mix. ... complimenting each other and sound big and full but not tubby.

Bass strings have gone tubby and dull | Pianotech

Piano Technicians Guild
https://my.ptg.org › discussion › bass-strings-have-go...
Aug 11, 2022 — Hi,. All the bass strings of a small, 2 year-old Yangtze River V-48 grand have gone tubby and flat from the tenor break down.

BBC what I mean?

- r. José
I can see why you call yourself dub "bull".

Dub Bull

Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:01 pm

I Fibo-U-nacci.