Cutting stylus

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

malatesta

Cutting stylus

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:06 am

Hi y'll, I'm walking for the first time in the mono cutting record world, I have an Audax RH5, and I need to buy a new cutting stylus, but under the Adamant Tresco/Apollo I can't find the right one. Where I need to look for a new stylus? do I need to buy a Neumann 320 and mod. the Head to fit the shank? I have a short shank ruby stilus that I don't know the brand, but it's cutting nice with no " hssss" but I don't know how much it will last before become useless. I presume that I need a short shank, or I can use a long shank too ? Thank you so much for every tips.

JayDC

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:11 am

mala, post pic if you can't i'll try to tell you.. It's most likely a 362 or a 462..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

Kris D

Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:46 am

Hi- The Audax, like the Presto heads, was designed for longshank but can be used with shortshank to improve high frequency response.
- Kris

malatesta

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 am

Thank you so much, if they don't cost too much I will try to buy one short and one long shank ruby. After the ruby I need to find a wheel for the 45 rpm for a Rek-O-Kut lathe, and if I'm correct a threaded rod....it's long way to the top if you whant to play rock&roll....

JayDC

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:56 pm

u kinna don't need the 45 idler if you plan on using a computer to feed the audio to the lathe..

You could process the wav file with mark's riaa plug-in, then adjust the sample rate to play the source slower, then record it at 33 on the lathe, and play it back at 45.. I used to do that.. You'll have to search the forum to find out the math to do it.. It actually can increase the amount of high end that old cutter will put out..

362 and 462 styli are about $80 from apollo, the 462 will allow you a deeper groove, and more bass.. the 362 will have to cut a little more shallow, but would give you a better high end. Ideally, you could take a 462 and cut it down a little so its in between a 462 and a 362, for best of both worlds ;)

if your the mala I think you are, hit me up bruv, I'll help you out all I can..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P