I start to believe that lexan is not the best material....

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mossboss

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:34 am

Guys Guys Guys
Look Diamond is the best heat conductor known Heat it up and guess where the heat goes? Up the shank and sinks into the metal parts of the cutting head
Heating up a diamond cutting stylus=waste of time
A further risk is the fact that you may split it at a cleavage point and good buy $220 odd bucks
Another thing to keep in mind is that it may expand locally due inclusions within its crystalline structure altering ever so slightly the cutting area giving unpredictable results to the cut
This is a reflection on diamond styli suppliers here or any where for that matter but I have said it before
No such thing as a low cost diamond stylus
If it was such an easy task it would have been the cutting medium of choice years ago instead of what every one uses Sapphire or Ruby
On another point a Diamond stylus for a dmm is around the 1500-2000 euros
Want a diamond stylus to do the trick? You got your answer
Anyone out there who thinks one would do it with this makeshift and if I may say so rather opportunistic approach from these suppliers is deluding himself
There has not being a solution to this long fought issue so far so one is to be able to cut with a low cost diamond
So some people decide that there is a market there for a low cost diamond stylus they go out and make them or most likely get someone else to make them and flog them with no assurance of lifespan
It is not what they do is what they use that does not perform for the task intended and that is simply Unselected diamonds
Teldec and Neumann must have spend many millions of $ on this issue and they got a result and a few patents to boot for their efforts
I have posted up the patent here in the past for any one to go and have a read
I cannot understand why people expect this current suppliers styli to yield results?
The ones previously did not and I would be very surprised if another in the future will if they maintain the same approach by not selecting the stones prior
How on earth is this going to be a proposition if the stylus bites the dust after a few or even 30 cuts at that amount of money?
One gets around the 200 or more hours out of a dmm stylus which is already expensive but that may represent 600 sides cut on it at 20 minutes a side for 200 hours
Than it gets re sharpened at a cost of 200 euros for another 600 sides or there about
As Fraggles said one may as well use a ceramic or a carbide bit at about $1 each
The same guys that polish the diamonds can do it with carbide or tungsten
Do a dozen cuts turf it out just like the 78 days on replying a shellac record
The post's are there not so long ago
Save yourselves a lot of aggravation effort as well as your hard earned $$$
The heading on the experimenters section in this forum is quite apt here something about crazy cost ineffective ideas
Cheers
Chris