Why hasn't anyone come up with a homemade record-press

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

filtersweeper

Why hasn't anyone come up with a homemade record-press

Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm surprised that no one has done this yet, and I search from time to time to see but still nothing. Somebody do it!!!!

Or post a link of something that will impress me.

mossboss

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:12 am

Why? Home made press? No point really To much for to little
It been done any way by markrob here
There is a search button up top Use it
Further why do you need to be impressed?
Furthermore why don't you start doing one and impress the rest of us!
Cheers
Chris

filtersweeper

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:05 am

Oops I did see his post after I posted but wasn't near a comp to edit. I was on the forum semi-regularily a while back and had yet to see someone do something. I'm looking to try something similar over the winter

cheers

markrob

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:15 am

Hi,

I have made some great progress, but I've had to take a break over the summer as work, family, and travel have taken the bulk of my time. I need to make one more push to really say I have a useful functional setup.

I do believe the Emory Cook process is viable for desktop small scale pressing. If I don't finish it, I'm sure somebody will take the ball and run with it. I'm not sure there is really a need as there seems to be plenty of capacity out there to make small runs of pressings using the tried and true process. I took this on as a learing experience. I have no plans to offer it for sale. But if you look at what I've done to date, you can see that its not a difficult thing to do if you have time and some cash.

Mark

filtersweeper

Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:42 pm

markrob you are the best. A pioneer basically in this DIY pressing dept. Over the winter I'm going to do something too. I'll keep you posted.

mossboss

Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:38 pm

Thought Id put this up just for the record he he
Philips some years ago developed an electrically heated set of moulds so as to avoid using steam to heat the moulds
Now an old fart like me has been making a set of moulds up as he was in the development team some 40 odd years ago
Don't ask me why he just decided to do it he's been at it for a while now so it may be that it works good enough for a DIY press may be not If there are results that are good enough for that I will let the DIY dudes know
Philips gave it away as a bad joke as it was to slow for those days when people had to do as many as 1 million records per title Now days it may be a viable proposition
Cheers
Chris