Are Vinyl Records Recyclable?

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

vascowacala

Are Vinyl Records Recyclable?

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Hello, i wonder if records after used can be returned to first material and recycle into a new record.

opcode66

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Yes. They are called regronds. Some plants will grind up the entire record label and all.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

djlithium

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Ok well to further that question, does anyone know of any plants in the US that will take large numbers of records for recycling (back catalog from my label, some of it water damaged from a flood) and give you a discount on a new run?
I need a full cutting solution. But would consider parts :)

Mulchefye

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Here's another interesting question...i was wondering if it is possible to re-cut a new track RIGHT OVER the old one, or perhaps iron out the old grooves...it is an interesting subject
"Music is the Key to the Universe."
-Rats 2012-

Angus McCarthy

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:42 pm

That would assume both a constant, known pitch and enough land to cut a wider/deeper groove.

Frankly, it'd be too much effort.

mossboss

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:23 am

Hey all
No plant that crushes records with the labels on them will use that material again so as to press new records Full stop
It will be sold off or given away to recyclers
It is possible to re extrude so as to re-pelletise this dirty material by using a screen at the extruder head but this will increase the back pressure of the extruder causing a breakdown of the material ruining it at least for records but usable in other applications
It becomes a 50/50 financial question as the amount of energy as well as the cost of recycling it through the extruder becomes almost the cost of new material
As a general rule one uses a punch to remove the label including the material in between the a and be side of course, This part is discarded the remainder of the record is put through a granulator for re-use
It was not and it not uncommon in some plants to have a granulator at each press so as to grind up the flash of each record trimmed and fed back to the press
PP in Italy as well as Brooklyn phono have such systems in place
To the poster looking for a discount on his damaged unsold records I dare say it is not on
After de sleeving removing inner bag disposing of the resulting paper waste than punching out the thickest part of the record which amounts to 15 odd % in weight than paying for the cost of energy to grind them up as well as the labor involved all up it becomes a negative cost exercise
Besides a collection of records from unknown sources as to the original material blend will cause a further issue with rejects on new records as the material will be inconsistent making it hard to set up operating conditions on the press
Each plant will most likely re use their rejects but will be reluctant to take in a pile of records so as to recycle
There are to many issues involved and none of them viable for a plant that's for sure
I can now hear the tree huggers and greenie's accusing me of not doing the right thing by the environment
Well It is easy for one to say I got rid of them for re cycling and feel good about it without considering that this will create a greater use of resources
they have already taken up
Assuming that a record is say 5 years old it is already energy neutral
A 30 year old car is energy neutral as against one that is made today That is a fact No different than people buying a solar energy system so as to produce electricity the very installation as well as all the materials used in that solar system will take about 20 years to become energy neutral than become of benefit to the environment assuming it lasts that long
But who cares about the details Hey
The action of feeling good when they think they are doing something for the environment is enough for most people without really looking into the details
If you buy a tread mill you feel good, the fact that you are gaining weight by the day is of of no importance as you have already acted Ha
Best place for old or unsold records is to give them to the local charity or more than one any way
They can sell them for say $1 each People will buy them and may even enjoy them trade them in fairs for fund raising purposes They will sit on someones shelve may even be cherished by the younger generation
It will certainly be a better proposition than recycling them
Cheers
Chris

djlithium

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 am

Hi MossBoss.
I know the plants were The Vinyl Factory which is now closed in Ontario canada and has been for a while and Rainbo Records in California. We also dealt with United but those releases from that press are minimal in number.
We had a flood 3 years ago that nearly destroyed one of our new releases and nearly killed us as a label. The records are "clean" so to speak but the labels are popping off on some and in general the jackets are totally destroyed and have been either thrown out or we pulled them down to the white sleeves and just kept those two parts, the vinyl and the sleeve hoping to do something with them in the future. We have about 1350 or so 180g 12" in this state. Some are blue clear vinyl (pressed at the vinyl factory) the rest are black pressed at rainbo and the vinyl factory.
With that amount of vinyl sitting there, I'm really wondering what to do with it all. Not a lot of places will take it at all because the paper labels are coming off or bubbling even if it is free. So my thought was to recycle it at a plant, especially the blue clear vinyl. Is there no one in the US that would take it and give us a credit towards a new pressing? IT's just a shame to see it get dumped.
I need a full cutting solution. But would consider parts :)

andybee

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:32 pm

normally, the shipping costs more, thane the recycling
material price + work etc.
This is not much material, so if you have some tons,
maybe can make more sense, if you find a very cheap
shipping solution...

vascowacala

Thanks for posting

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Im new in the forum, im trying to understand the ads and dis of vinyl records. Im from Argentina, between 1950 and 1990 this place was an active producer of vinyl records. But for the entrance of CD on the market, induced the record companies to dismantled all lathe and press machines.
Today there are many old records,many unplayables, but no production of new material. Its a shame. I ll try to get a lathe machine.