ultragain pro mic

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

the_ducktail

ultragain pro mic

Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-ULTRAGAIN-PRO-MIC2200-2-Channel-Tube-Microphone-Preamplifier-MIC-2200-/151034797601?pt=US_Preamps_Channel_Strips&hash=item232a601e21

Is it useful to use this as a preamp for a record cutter? I am using this link just as reference I found this dirty cheap at my country. But I want to know if this is useful to bought it. best regards.

studiorp

Re: ultragain pro mic

Tue May 14, 2013 4:11 am

Why a mic pre ? Do you use a passive riaa ?

Angus McCarthy

Tue May 14, 2013 4:28 am

I'm not clear on how this would be used in the signal chain; as an EQ? If so, it would be a lot simpler to use something like a graphic EQ:

http://www.3rtechnology.com/ebay/biamp-eq301-1.jpg

studiorp

Tue May 14, 2013 6:26 am

I have a solution for utilize this tube mic pre; is the same system that I am using for experiments in this period: for not use an active riaa circuit with a "normal" line in and out, I use a passive riaa as Vivanco SC-112 cd-phono converter .
This circuit have in "cd in" an high impedance of about 990k, while in "phono out" there are 990 ohm.
Now you must consider that less 1k isn't a line value, so this passive pre must be connected to a mic pre.
Then naturally the line out of mic pre can go in amp or before in an other eq...
This is only solution that I know about mic pre, solid state or tube system...

the_ducktail

Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 am

thanks all of you for your answers. I think I wont buy it. Seems I will be working on my computer and send songs right to the record cutter after EQ and edition on adobe audition.

So, when a preamp is required in recording with a lathe? Just when you record directly to the record cutter? I mean just with a mic?

I have seen Simon has the same record cutter i have, and he does have a preamp :(

Sorry for being so dumb about this kind of things but Im still learning. I just want to record my songs and all people around :P can somebody instruct me on Simon's set up. I wrote him some messages with no answer or can somebody help me to contact him. Regards.
Richie.

studiorp

Tue May 14, 2013 12:17 pm

You must have a inverted riaa eq. as first point, then is better have a second eq that must be inserted before the amp.
You must limit the bass freq. and a little the high freq. but not only, so you must hear the music with a good headphone and check the freq., this because these heads from 1940-50 are not profi and were born for recording to 78 rpm, that not worked with riaa eq.
About riaa eq, as I said before or you buy a cd-phono adapter and then you must use it with a mic pre ( tube or solid state ) or you buy an active riaa ( see Flo website, vinyllike.de - caruso preamp). In the case of Flo, you buy only circuit board without components, then you must buy apart these pieces and solder.
Before start to cut is better check the cutting head inside, specially the gums that go to centre the stylus holder .

the_ducktail

Tue May 14, 2013 12:27 pm

Ok. I will firt check my recording head and upload pictures of it. I think will do it during weekend to do it with time enough to be careful

Thanks Studiorp and Angus McCarthy :)

studiorp

Tue May 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Yes, this and then the lathe mechanic, check all that works fine without smoothly.
Is better that you put away the mechanic from the case and dismount it cleaning all parts from old grease and oils.
Now I don't know fine the Rek o Kut mechanic, but by the way is similar to my Poltz Freres as others lathe from 1940-50 years.
Is many important that the lathe works fine for a good result on disc at the moment of cutting process.

So first thing the lathe, then the cutting head, and finally the system motor.

Have you already thought for the motor which system adapt ? Belt, idler pulley or direct drive ?

Good work.

the_ducktail

Tue May 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Studiorp:

Following on Markrob advices (and I trust him plenty), I will go with the pure sine wave inverter along with a 12Vdc powersupply. :) so now Im heading to buy this things. I want it to have it ready asap

Regards

Richie.

the_ducktail

Tue May 14, 2013 1:49 pm

PS.
I choose this as is less invasive to the record lathe. All external devices.