Caruso RIAA pre-amp Power Supply?

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

emidisc

Caruso RIAA pre-amp Power Supply?

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:49 am

Hello,
Can any trolls recommend a suitable power supply to run the Caruso RIAA pre-amp (version 1.1) ?
I have noted the voltage required from the Vinylike site and I built the unit some months back but have so far been unable to locate a suitable (+/-) power supply.
Has anyone else built one?

Emidisc

EpicenterBryan

Re: Caruso RIAA pre-amp Power Supply?

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:19 pm

emidisc wrote: Can any trolls recommend a suitable power supply to run the Caruso RIAA pre-amp (version 1.1) ?
You should go with a +-15 volt supply, 100ma minimum for 2 boards.
Here is my "go to" supply. Go with an Acopian DB15-XX where XX is either 10 (for 100ma) or also available as a 15 (150ma), 20 (200ma), 30 (300ma), 35 (350ma) or 50 (500ma). Best load regulation is on models 10 through 35. Cost is high new, but easy to find used on E-bay for $20-$40. These supplies are also available with 220VAC input, so if you need 120V in, make sure what you buy doesn't have the extra suffix -230 or you will be very unhappy!

Here is a spec sheet for the whole line:
http://www.acopian.com/inc/streamFile.asp?loc=info&id=AcopianCatMiniScrewTerm.pdf

I've used these Acopian supplies for years. Although I haven't built my Caruso boards yet, I do have them on order. BTW, where did you have the best luck rounding up the components. Sure would be nice to order everything from one source. Wish they had offered a full kit with all components.

Bryan

chuckthemovieguy

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Wow. I also need a power supply for two boards and I have never been more confused after reading that post reply.

emidisc

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks for your reply, the only problem I see is that doesn't look anything like the one shown on the vinylike site so will it work ok?...........
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

opcode66

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:35 pm

It doesnt have to. It looks to me like the picture shows a Toroid instead of a standard transformer. That is the round thing in the upper left. The board to the right of that looks like a standard power supply. It has two large electrolytic caps, two small electrolytic caps, Mosfets with heat sinks to make the + and - 15 V. Some smaller mylar caps to clean up the output. Screw terminals for input and output. Fairly simple.

I've ordered Caruso pre-amp boards for my cutterhead project. I will be assembling mine as soon as they arrive. For a reasonable price I can order parts, source a power supply, source a case or rack case, assemble the boards, and test. So, if anyone is interested in Caruso pre-amp but doesn't have the time, patience or knowledge to do the build, feel free to contact me.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

EpicenterBryan

Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:58 pm

emidisc wrote:Thanks for your reply, the only problem I see is that doesn't look anything like the one shown on the vinylike site so will it work ok?...........
Yes, it will work. There are a bunch of the 200ma units on E-bay right now at a good price. Go with the DB15-20. Again, stay away from from ones with -230 unless you want to use 230vac input. You can use any of them with -10 through -50. The higher the output capacity the larger the size.

Bryan

EpicenterBryan

Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:43 pm

opcode66 wrote:For a reasonable price I can order parts....
Hey, if you are already ordering parts for your 2 boards (I have 2 boards on order as well) could you order a second set of components for me too? What would be the cost? I have a power supply, chassis, and bare boards (soon) - but none of the components on the parts list.

Bryan

flozki

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:32 am

i just updated the vinylike site for the information about power supply.
http://vinylike.de/index.php/carusopreamp/
i did not expect that this brings up that many questions. its all straight forward
and in the same range as building any other audio gear.

if you don't know what a symmetrical power supply is , or if you are unfamiliar with soldering
don't build that preamp. don't use a caruso head before you don't know what are you doing!

you will find all infos on the www. there are tons of nice electronic tutorials out.

this is definitely not a plug and play unit. you need some basic skills in electronics.

nothing rocket science. but some elementary knowledge about electronics is needed here.

so all info is on vinylike you can successfully build that preamp.

if you want a plug&play solution let me know. all is possible but
sadly not based on a $40 price tag.

emidisc

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Well I guess I need to appoligise for asking what I thought was a reasonable question......
Let me get this correct if someone does not understand electronics they should not buy a Carruso head ?

opcode66

Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:10 pm

No. That is not exactly what he meant. Flo is a very busy guy. I think that his short answers are typically misunderstood. So, I will translate.

He is saying that the Caruso project is not as turnkey as vinylium was. When you bought vinylium you would get an amp with a preamp built in. You would get an overhead. A cutterhead. All the required cabling. All tested and working. But, you paid 10K USD for this luxury.

Caruso is affordable. Caruso is not turnkey though. Flo is selling the cutterhead and the empty preamp boards. No cabling. No case for the preamp. No power amplifier. No power supply. Not all assembled, tested and working when it arrives.

So, unless you are good at electronics, and have experience setting up cutting gear, then he is recommending you find someone who is. To take this on yourself would be a daunting task. But, you could certainly utilize someone's services to get everything built, tested and working for you.

Flo was simply saying that all the work and parts it takes to get Caruso going will not come with a $40 price tag. I agree. If you want a working Caruso rig, you will need to invest significantly more than $80 for two empty preamp boards and $1800 for the cutterhead. That is simply the initial buy in. The parts to fill one board alone come to over $100 with shipping.

Flo said he was willing to help people get up and running for a price. So am I. In fact, I think it makes a lot of sense for me to help cutters on this side of the Atlantic, and for Flo to help those on the other side. Please check my posts in the classified section. I am offering either board builds or full preamp builds including a case and power supply. I'm offering the service at a very reasonable price. If it sounds too expensive then I will say that you probably should stick with mono cutting gear. Anything stereo is expensive. Anything worth doing is expensive. Please let me know if you are interested in having me take all of the worry, concern and effort out of your Caruso experience.

FYI, Flo did not supply a completed BOM with part numbers for each part. This is also why someone experienced needs to be at the helm of this project. One has to find all of the specific parts for the build. And, some are very particular. Its not just the component values, but also their tolerances and the materials they are made from as well as the exact size of the components and their leads. It is a lot of hours of work just to come up with a completed part list. And, an inexperienced builder would easily make mistakes on part selection. I know because I now have a completed part list that took a long time to compile. And, before anyone asks, NO, I will not share this completed part list. Also, I will not just order parts on your behalf. If you are contracting me to do the build, then I will order parts for you.

Full Build Service: http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5275

Board Build Service: http://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5270
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Soulbear

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 am

Hi All,
I too am struggling, not so much the concept, more the practicality and application. I've recently built a Pulse Width Modulator DC Output Kit for the Stylus Heater Element of my CutterHead, and found it difficult due to chronic arthritis and failing eyesight. I've seen advertised from reputable mainstream electronics supply company, a mains powered 15V DC P.S.U. with 670mA output with a modest $30ish pricetag, so I'm seeking to purchase rather than build my own. Spec states Line Regulation of 0.5%, Transience Response 4% Max -Recovery Rate 50Micro Seconds back to within 1% with a 10% load change. Do any Trolls with Superior Knowledge of these things (I'm complete novice) think this would be a suitable P.S.U. for the Caruso Pre-Amp? I'll await your technical input before shelling out money for what may not afterall be suitable. Many Thanks, SoulBear :roll:

Soulbear

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:13 am

Oh Dear, Forgot to post this. The link to view the full spec is www.xppower.com/pdfsSF_CU10-15.pdf (I can be such a Plank at times) Thanks Again,
SoulBear :oops:

Soulbear

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:40 am

Oh Dear, Oh Dear,
Still Haven't got it quite right, the link is www.xppower.com/pdfs/SF_CU10-15.pdf :oops: :oops: :oops: Thanks Again,
SoulBear

flozki

Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:18 pm

better use a linear power supply.
if you really want to go the lazy way...

use something like this.
http://ch.farnell.com/tracopower/tmp-30215c/wandler-ac-dc-15v-1a-30w-module/dp/1672173

this one definitely works...

but linear is much better and way cheaper. internet is your friend and you need to get that basic stuff going to do the rest...

for heating use LM317 linear regulator in current mode . set of 0.5 A and you are fine. no need of adjustment needed.

Soulbear

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks Flo, Thanks Flo,
Super info on voltage regulator too, t'ain't laziness by the way, I've not been this enthusiastic about a project in many a year, 'tis painful having to accept some of my health limitations and finding ways around them, to move my Lath/Cutter Project forwards, Best Regards, SoulBear :D

basplin

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:57 pm

EpicenterBryan wrote:
Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:19 pm
emidisc wrote: Can any trolls recommend a suitable power supply to run the Caruso RIAA pre-amp (version 1.1) ?
You should go with a +-15 volt supply, 100ma minimum for 2 boards.
Here is my "go to" supply. Go with an Acopian DB15-XX where XX is either 10 (for 100ma) or also available as a 15 (150ma), 20 (200ma), 30 (300ma), 35 (350ma) or 50 (500ma). Best load regulation is on models 10 through 35. Cost is high new, but easy to find used on E-bay for $20-$40. These supplies are also available with 220VAC input, so if you need 120V in, make sure what you buy doesn't have the extra suffix -230 or you will be very unhappy!

Here is a spec sheet for the whole line:
http://www.acopian.com/inc/streamFile.asp?loc=info&id=AcopianCatMiniScrewTerm.pdf

I've used these Acopian supplies for years. Although I haven't built my Caruso boards yet, I do have them on order. BTW, where did you have the best luck rounding up the components. Sure would be nice to order everything from one source. Wish they had offered a full kit with all components.

Bryan
Hi Bryan, thanks for this recommendation! I have a bit of a stupid question, if you or anyone else might be willing to help a newb here. I'm trying to build Flo's RIAA encoder (found here: http://floka.com/lofi/riaa_enc_flo.jpg) and am a little confused about where the dual power source connects and where the input for the audio signal is. Using J111 JFETs. I'd assume it's somewhere on the + & - obviously, but not sure where exactly...thanks!!