Deep Grooves Mastering - Project Bladerunner

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Re: Deep Grooves Mastering - Project Bladerunner

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Let me rephrase what I'm saying. I want to be sure I'm getting the best item I can. I am new to metal working. I really only have time to research one item (and all its accessories) at a time. Immediately after I get a lathe I will be researching a CNC. I have a little. But, as you get into it, there are so many......
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Bahndahn

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:37 pm

If your really looking to kick some ass, you may want to consider waiting for this machine:
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 4.35.21 PM.png
http://www.pocketnc.com/products/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snug Music

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:38 pm

opcode66 wrote:One power supply for both boards.

I'm going to get the metal lathe acquired and setuo first. Then, immediately after, I will get the cnc. That has been the plan.

Can you tell me the make/model you are using? Do you like it?
The part has built a friend! he has built a template from the internet.
I ask him once on weekend exactly where he discovered this, and what you needed anything. or whether it can refer also built completely finished!

Yeah, that part has helped me well, but there is certainly still some much better CNC machine!

Todd, I .. sign up as fast as I kann..ok?
Greeting Scotty :wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

Snug Music

Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:41 pm

Bahndahn wrote:If your really looking to kick some ass, you may want to consider waiting for this machine:
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 4.35.21 PM.png
http://www.pocketnc.com/products/

yeah,..great machine..5 Axis? 8)

looks like very great!

scotty :wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

opcode66

Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:59 am

Here is the shopping list so far. Includes 4 axis cnc, metal lathe, and accessories. Feel free to have a look and see if there is anything missing. Remember, I am starting from essentially nothing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

juba bc

Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:46 pm

opcode66 , I do not know if that helps you, built my 4 axis cnc , I am building my vinyl record with it ... if you have anything I can help you, I will be available

opcode66

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:11 pm

I appreciate your offer. I'm excited to start doing metal work myself! I will start ordering gear, accessiries and supplies this week.

A number of you with kind hearts have offered to help make metal parts. That is really awesome to see this much interest and enthusiasm for my work. Thank you all for offering to help.

Working in metal will assist in nearly every project of mine. Teaching myself to become a machinist is critical at this point. And, it continues a family legacy of engineering and metalwork. It is something I am eager to achieve.

dimi751

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:50 pm

nice job on the graphics ! Beauty !

opcode66

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:03 am

After a lot of research, this is the mini lathe I've decided to go with. I can modify and upgrade it later with all metal gears and CNC control. I like this one very much. 500W High Torque Brushless motor!

HiTorque 7x16 Mini Lathe, Deluxe

- Features of 5100 (most powerful, most low-speed torque, gearless spindle, cam-lock tailstock)
- Extended bed (16" between centers) for more workspace
- Includes DRO readouts on compound rest and cross slide
- Metal hand wheels and chrome levers
- Includes 0XA wedge-type quick change tool post and five tool holders
- No gears in spindle drive
480.5200.jpg
http://littlemachineshop.com/5200

I've rounded out the rest of my list. There were a number of things missing. I am for sure getting the milling attachment. This is going to be so much fun!

petermontg

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:12 am

The bug has bitten. Looking forward to metal BR. Great work Todd.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

Fatrecco

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:43 pm

Code: Select all

No gears in spindle drive 
Mayby - disadvantage
In my opinion, buy better a some years old used machine for the same money.

opcode66

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Actually, I think that has to be a mistake. The lathe comes with "An 11-gear change gear set that includes a 21 tooth gear for accurate metric threading". Also, there is a section that states:

With this lathe, you can create every American Standard Unified class 2A inch screw thread from 4 to 100 threads per inch, and you can create every American Standard Metric class 6h thread from 0.25 to 8 mm pitch with the extra 21 tooth change gear that is included.

But you can actually do make more thread pitches than that. And, there are more change gear combinations than those shown in the users guide. To see what you can really do, see the Change Gear Calculator.

http://littlemachineshop.com/5200

Thank you for your input here.

Bahndahn

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:26 pm

The machine is, without a doubt, full featured– deluxe at that. It is also, however, deluxe in an unnecessary way given the conditions of the work [in my opinion]. Here is my reasoning:

What really seems to matter on a tool like this is the 'structure' of the lathe: you will almost never choke a motor [of any 'average' small-lathe type] if you are doing things correctly in terms of tool shape/sharpness, cutting angle, depth of cut, etc. And if you do, it can be a blessing in disguise because the other option may be the tool breaking.

Another consideration to make in the investment should be its 'CNC readiness'. Metalwork can be romantic for a while, but eventually ideas of CNCing the lathe will undoubtably creep into mind. The lathe you are most recently looking at [compared to, lets say: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4959&category=1271799306 ] doesn't offer any benefits towards that conversion. One could argue that the DRO could be tapped into to get location info to benefit a potential CNC conversion, but its a bit of a stretch given the cost.

In my opinion, the DRO is nice but a little fear inducing regarding its lifespan. A good quality lathe should outlast any single human's life - those DRO's are not convincing me they will be at my funeral. My atlas lathe has been to a few and still has the enthusiasm of a youngin! This modest miniature only demanded $400 to call it my own [tonnes of tooling and accessories included]:
photo (2).JPG
DROs, torque, little nicer tool post, couple more inches, and rubber feet are all I'm noticing on the more expensive option discussed, and the price is double. You could have a totally decked out, possibly even CNC'd version of the less-expensive one for the price of the former.

On my 6/18, I have never been close to halfway down the ways with a workpiece– the other half serves as a very sturdy platform for my magnetic tool tray!

Again, this is just my opinion in terms of what I would do in your position. I would put the dough somewhere else as this is going to be a large investment journey. That said, I'm a unemployed full-time student..

Bahndahn

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:35 pm

One more thing: For what its worth, DRO would be best as a supplementary angle gauge on the compound rest-- graduated dials are entirely sufficient on the cross-feed and compound feed, backlash isn't a problem with graduated dials as you are only ever noting the advance in one direction.

At the end of the day, you will always measure your part afterwards with a measuring tool. Relative measurements, precise or otherwise, just don't tell you what you need to know.

opcode66

Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:31 am

A couple points. First, you are saying that the Seig C3 would be better. "The LittleMachineShop.com model 5200 HiTorque Mini Lathe is a version of the SIEG SC3." So, it is the same machine.

Second, the DRO's are a kit. I was going to get the Seig C3 and a DRO kit. But, decided to simply get the 5200 instead (for a couple other reasons as well mostly the high torque motor).

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2222&category=
480.2222.jpg
The DRO's come off the 5200 and you can install the same CNC kit that you can install on the Seig C3 (or any other mini lathe since they are all clones of each other to a great extent). I've done my homework here. So, I can in the near future remove and sell the DRO's and get a CNC kit. I just can't afford to do that now is all. I was pricing out a cheaper lathe with DRO's and other add-ons. But, I would have arrived at a close price. And, the 5200 is a bit bigger. I want that. I wont explain to you why here. Needless to say, other projects....

On the list are a number of measurement tools. Including angle. No worries my friend! Thanks for mentioning though. If I don't like the DRO's I can go to dials and sell them. But, I think you are being a bit overboard about that to be honest. A number of folks have said that is nice to have.

"Relative measurements, precise or otherwise, just don't tell you what you need to know." Well, if that is the case then CNC's don't work. Clearly they do. So, I can't agree with this statement at all my friend. This is the very nature of how a CNC works. The DRO's are like a Manual CNC. So, we will agree to disagree??? :-)

What I'd like input on is this now....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mach3-four-4-axis-6040-1500W-cnc-router-engraver-engraving-machine-desktop-/321451205371?hash=item4ad7fc22fb:g:erwAAOSwPcVVxCIY
s-l1600.jpg

Bahndahn

Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:43 am

Hey friend I totally understand your points! Just dropping in to share my opinion– I'm certainly an amateur machinist, but chiming in never hurts! Overall, I'm just making points about why I think the system is not worth the dough regarding a price-conscious setup.

Just to clear up some miscommunications:
opcode66 wrote:On the list are a number of measurement tools. Including angle.

Those little ticks on the circumference are not DRO, I was suggesting that the angle itself is the most important place to have the precision of DRO.
opcode66 wrote:"Relative measurements, precise or otherwise, just don't tell you what you need to know." Well, if that is the case then CNC's don't work. Clearly they do. So, I can't agree with this statement at all my friend. This is the very nature of how a CNC works. The DRO's are like a Manual CNC. So, we will agree to disagree???
Precision measurements are taken on a CNC'd part too, as many variables are still in play such as: tool wear, material inconsistencies, coolant variations, etc. CNC's really shine in their ability to turn 4 knobs at once, while the operator makes a coffee and toast, and thats about it :)
opcode66 wrote:What I'd like input on is this now....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mach3-four- ... SwPcVVxCIY
Nice machine here, my only caveat with it is that it's just shy of being able to cut 2 12" blanks at a time on it having a working area of 375x575mm [14.76378" 22.637795"].

opcode66

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:16 am

Bahndahn wrote:Those little ticks on the circumference are not DRO, I was suggesting that the angle itself is the most important place to have the precision of DRO
I know, I know. But, alas, no DRO on angle that I've ever seen for a mini lathe. That is why I am getting a nice metal protractor. And, I can step that up in the future. Measuring tools are easy to come by.
Bahndahn wrote:Nice machine here, my only caveat with it is that it's just shy of being able to cut 2 12" blanks at a time on it having a working area of 375x575mm [14.76378" 22.637795"].
Well, I don't really care about cutting blanks. And, cutting single discs at a time is ok for me. I only need them for myself. I don't intend to sell blanks for a while. And, I will likely still have them done elsewhere. I want the CNC for doing many other things. It can take a 19" blank rack panel. That is some thing I am interested in.

I thin we simply have different applications in mind.

opcode66

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:20 am

Yes. Yes it is. Very cheap. No thank you. I am on a budget so to speak. But, I want to get things that make sense. And, not go as cheap as possible. I look at that and I think immediately chips are going to clog up the slide.

dimi751

Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:03 am

Boring !