diy transducer experiments

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Fatrecco

diy transducer experiments

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:31 pm

I got two 40x23x6mm ring-neodym magnets (realy strong!). The area in the ring are magnets. The rest is steel.
ringmagnet.jpg
transd1.jpg
t8.jpg
I got a bad frequency response. only up to 5khz
t10.jpg
The whole coil+cone+rod+spring weight about 2.35g.
Its 0.2mm wire.

Now I try thinner wire + rubbermembran instead of a spring.

Fat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

grooveguy

Re: diy transducer experiments

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Hey, Fatrecco,

Looks like you're off to a good start. Nice job winding that coil; is there clearance for it in the gap or does it rub? I would think it needs 3-point support to keep it from being angled against one side of the magnet assembly.

What are you using for a cone? Is it hollow or solid? The weight you show isn't much, but at high frequencies even a light static load is formidable. You should be able to sweep that assembly with an oscillator and determine pretty quickly what the resonance is. Response above resonance is going to drop quickly, and you'll have to use motional feedback or lots of EQ to overcome it. Best performance is probably going to be achieved with a very stiff assembly and lots of watts.

Best of luck, keep us informed, please!

Fatrecco

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:56 pm

thanks,
the gap is 1.5mm. The cone is out of copy-paper which is saturated with cyanacrylat.
In my first build, I use two v-springs to avoid a rubbing coil. But I removed one of them, cause I thought it will block higher frequencies. I testet it with white noise and found no high freqs excluded of a 10khz peak. When I put single sinus signals into the transducer, I got them in the output :?: When I play music over the transducer(with RIAA) and hear the result with a phono-amp, it sounds holow.

Try

Bahndahn

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Hey friend,

Have you tried making the bottom-most portion aluminium? This might help saturate the flux where you want it, in that gap.

Try it our on the simulator and see if it does anything!

EpicenterBryan

Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Hey Fatrecco,
You might want to ask "Fela Borbone:" about this. He did some great simulations on the Groove Scribe thread.

Bryan

Fela Borbone

Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi,
You have agood start! I like westrex like suspension too! It should feel stiffer than a speaker.maybe you want to add something else to keep coils clearing the gap when in action, other spring or silicone.
Magnetic things seem ok., maybe the gap toobi g. I prefer less turns and more current,but theres lot of trade offs.
are you using cianocrilate to bond the coil? If so be avoid breathing the vapours it prodoce when heated!!
Good luck with the project!!

..and have fun!

Fatrecco

Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks,

@Bahndahn: I don't understand what you mean with the aluminium in the bottom plate. The iron/steel should be nearly at the point of magnetical saturation. I think FEMM doesn't consider about saturation. :?:

@Fela: ok I try to make it stiffer. And yes I use cyanacrylate.

fat

opcode66

Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:04 pm

Bahndahn wrote:Hey friend,

Have you tried making the bottom-most portion aluminium? This might help saturate the flux where you want it, in that gap.

Try it our on the simulator and see if it does anything!
Not quite as simple as saying aluminum bobbin.... There is a trick to it to avoid eddy currents in the aluminum that will negate high frequencies. The aluminum will fight the drive coil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Bahndahn

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:08 pm

opcode66 wrote:
Not quite as simple as saying aluminum bobbin.... There is a trick to it to avoid eddy currents in the aluminum that will negate high frequencies. The aluminum will fight the drive coil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current
Copper shorting ring

opcode66

Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:27 pm

Even simpler
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio