Open Source Lathes and Cutterheads

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, mossboss, tragwag, Aussie0zborn, Steve E., Simon

Open Source Lathes and Cutterheads

Unread postby jjwharris » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:21 am

Hi There,

I've been spending a lot of time reading through these forums, trying to grasp the basics of all of this.

I've tried cutting a few things with results that are less than great - mainly down to poor quality turntables, less than ideal construction and bad needles.

I've been working on a better setup in solidworks and I'm thinking I'd like to release everything I've worked on as an open source kind of deal.

This is where it may get a bit grey - Since I'm using a lot of your guys stuff as reference (could be using reference very loosely there..) material (Mostly Bryan's Osoo-Miso Picante cutter head, the Zez cutter one lathe and Soulbears perfume funnels) I don't know if this reaches into the realms of plagiarism or if it's not cool to go releasing model files of things based off other things.

Anyways, I've attached a screenshot of what I've been working on - I'm new to both 3d printing and cutting records so I imagine a lot of this stuff could use refinement.

Also as a bonus - I recently picked up a Peter King lathe cut, I have a cheap $20 USB Microscope if anyone is interested in some detailed photos of what his tracks look like. If you want to hear the tracks they're here;
https://theopawa45s.bandcamp.com/releases

Let me know what you think and I'll go ahead and release the model files if people aren't upset with that.
Attachments
lathe.png
jjwharris

Re: Open Source Lathes and Cutterheads

Unread postby jjwharris » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:22 am

There's a missing piece in that picture. My software crashed and I lost it so it's not happening tonight.
jjwharris

Unread postby Soulbear » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi JJW,
jjwharris wrote:and Soulbears perfume funnels) I don't know if this reaches into the realms of plagiarism or if it's not cool

You go for it my friend, sharing and learning should be what the Forum's all about in my book. I hope your endeavours turn out good BIG TIME, just keep us Trolls up to date with your build, and the best of luck with it too!!
Regards :wink: :P :D Soulbear
Soulbear

Unread postby jjwharris » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:24 am

Thanks Soulbear!

I'll wait until it's functional before I release anything as I seem to be changing it a lot - How did your project work out?
jjwharris

Unread postby jjwharris » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:44 pm

It's been a busy weekend/week...

I've been printing and tweaking and reprinting, and I've arrived at this.

Since assembling this I've decided to add thrust bearings either side of the coupler bearing to try and reduce horizontal movement of the head.

The torque tube is currently 3d printed, I'm considering getting this cast in silver, not sure if aluminium will be too difficult (also my jeweller doesnt cast in aluminium..) planning to secure the cutting stylus with a screw in the front of the torque tube, I take it this is less than ideal, as I want to reduce as much moving mass as possible but I'm hoping it will suffice in the short term.

As I said earlier, all my record equipment is on the otherside of the country in Auckland so I'm waiting to pick that up in late August, but I'm already searching for quotes to get it here sooner.

A couple of concerns and questions I have are in regards to the attachement of the drivers to the torque tube, I've attached a cad drawing of how they are attached (epoxied in eventually) but I notice a lot of people will use a thin wire to attach the tube to the drivers, why is that?

Secondly, the 3d printed tubes on the torque tube I've made thinner than the inner diameter as the funnel as when I glue them I want them to be floating, the speaker cones sitting in the more free position. Is this the right way of thinking about it?

Thirdly, I've made the hole for the cutting stylus as near to the point of contact to the drivers as I figure this will give the needle the most direct movement, is this necessary?

I also realise that the coupling of a stepper motor directly to the threaded rod will probably be less than ideal, I'm thinking I can probably move it and turn the rod with a rubber belt if this proves to be a big issue.

The spring suspension is giving me a bit of worry too, is there any particular thing in a spring I should be looking at?

More than anything I would love to know if there is anything I have overlooked while making this.

Excuse the missing screw - the hardware shop has their machine screws all in a mess and I inadvertantly picked up the wrong length for one screw.
Attachments
torqueattachement.png
P70716-131213.jpg
P70716-131202.jpg
P70716-131149.jpg
jjwharris

Return to Experimenters' & Innovators' forum