Anyone have experience with Trimicron technology

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Xertz

Anyone have experience with Trimicron technology

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Hey everyone. I just checked out Techmoan video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fG1crhGqI0a) on Trimicron technology. Does anyone have any experience with this type of disc or know anyone who does?

Radardoug

Re: Anyone have experience with Trimicron technology

Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:48 am

They have just gone to fixed groove spacing and pulled the level down, thus increasing the playing time at the expense of reduced dynamic range.

Xertz

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:49 am

Interesting... I wonder why they used that giant equipment as opposed to a standard cutting machine.

markrob

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi,

I don't think they did use any special equipment. Not sure what was shown in the picture, but I suspect its just marketing BS.

Mark

SONARC

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:17 pm

The Trimicron CD reminded me of some of the experiments conducted by Emory Cook (an engineer and inventor who passed away in 2002) in the 1950s. I’ve got several Cook-engineered records, but one of my favorites is called, “Marimba Band (Otherwise Known As To Hell With High-Fidelity)”. There was a mono version, but the one I have was marketed as a binaural stereo LP, and apparently, one needed a special binaural tonearm to play it - fitted with two cartridges, as I understand it.

Sadly, I’ve never been able to track one of those tonearms, but one can still play the LP on a standard turntable - in separate passes; one band has the sound from the left mic, and the other band contains the sound captured by the right mic. I thought the Trimicron LP was going to be one of those, but I cringed a little, when I saw just how close those grooves were to each other. Not surprising that the playback was so quiet!

Then again, I recently made a handful of 7” lathe-cuts for Yo La Tengo, from a live track I recorded several years ago; and with some very careful tweaking of EQ and gain settings, was able to make a relatively decent-sounding single that contained 5 minutes and 10 seconds of audio. The track starts about one revolution from the outer edge, and I only had about a second left to squeeze in an end lock groove, but it worked. Obviously there was a bit of compromise (particularly the bass), but what made it work was that the track started and ended with a single stretch of feedback, so there wasn’t much fidelity to lose in the beginning and end grooves. I’m pretty certain that it wouldn’t have worked as well with a full-on rock song.

Similarly, I doubt the Trimicron LP would have worked at a louder volume - or with a band like The Melvins - but I was kind of impressed to see those uniform grooves riding as close to each other and not sounding too bad.

But yeah, that console illustration looked like total science fiction, for sure.