Historical lacquers analysis

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

audiosteam

Historical lacquers analysis

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:53 pm

This is a long term project, mostly for investigating and documenting on the history of recording.

As we know year after years lacquer companies got merged, closed, disappeared.. the choice getting narrow over the time I see a need of collecting several samples of old lacquer discs to make an exhaustive laboratory analysis.

I recently connected with a laboratory that's able to analyze the lacquer's composition. Therefore I'm willing to collect several samples of each maker, past or present to make an exhaustive review of the lacquer's composition.

The results will be shared here for people willing to experiment and produce their own master discs like me.

Anyone willing to cooperate by giving away some old used or NOS disc are welcome.

Alex

emorritt

Re: Historical lacquers analysis

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:56 am

One thing that I've noticed about Apollo products is that I have many discs (dubs) I've cut since about 2008; roughly only 10 years old - and they're already leaching palmitic acid and turning white! I have discs I purchased from different companies in the 1970s that are still as good as the day I bought them. Also, their dropping availability of dubs angers me because while I do mastering work, I also do a lot of demonstrations in my teaching as well as for other community organizations. It's not worth paying master prices just to do a demo and give the disc to whoever did the performing. I agree it's time some options were available.